Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have just before the new year become the owner of a rather lovely gun. It's a Denton & Kennel but I am unable to verify the model. I have a copy of the 1988 Somerton guns catalogue, the people behind the D&K mark but my gun is not in it. I'm just wondering if any further light may be thrown at it by your knowledgeable selves.

It was manufactured in 1985 by Armas Maguregui (both barrels and action carry the SE logo) who from what I can find on the web were not a large manufacturer. It was proofed in the Eibar proof house to 900Kp/cm2 and the barrels are 27 " and very light at 1230g.

It is a round action sidelock ejector that looks very like an AYA no1 deluxe roundbody but though it was manufactured in 1985, it would then have come over to England for finishing at Somerton guns HQ in England. All very well but I have to question what year it was likely finished for sale due to the style of engraving. I'm hoping to attach pictures once I have finished typing. From the images you will see the style of engraving used, it's very deep, extremely well executed, and has an almost black infill/ background more reminiscent of a later gun.

I'm wondering if it was built in 1985, shipped to Somerton and then left for some years before being completed, the gun is so new feeling and there is not a mark in the bores as if it's never been fired. It is still tight to open and close.

I welcome any input on the gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Many years ago when I was still in the "acquisition phase" of my life; I found that after much study and some "learned" experiences, the name on the gun was not really that important. Quality as well as condition was always evident; if you knew how & where to look.

Your gun falls into that category for me. I had not even heard of a Denton & Kennel but it is obviously a first class gun! The Spanish make some fine shotguns, and it is again a matter of knowing how to discern quality. There seems to be an interesting treatment to the forend iron done where it meets the "knuckle" of the action that I have not seen before. Would you post another picture of that area?

Would you share some of the specifics such as stock dimensions, weight, although by you stating the barrels are quite light would seem to indicate the gun is in the 6 1/2 lb "game gun" range. 2 1/2 inch chambers? Chokes?

I am a bit confused by the part where you say the gun was refinished in England but was/is in near unfired condition?

Finally, I particularly like the "clean" breech face with nothing to impede loading like a barrel extension. Very, very nice indeed!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a bit confused by the part where you say the gun was refinished in England but was/is in near unfired condition?
Denton & Kennel bought guns from Spanish manufacturers "in the white" or as unfinished guns and then they finished them all at their shop in Somerton England. It does appear to be in virtually unfired condition. it is all very tight in the action just like a brand new gun is. it feels absolutely like new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want a closer look you should be able to download the full images from the viewer screen. you can then zoom in for a better look.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Thank you! That is one REALLY cool sidelock double with modern chambers and proofs. I think you will definitely enjoy shooting it! It will not take a back-seat to any others in the field! I am green with envy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would you share some of the specifics such as stock dimensions, weight, although by you stating the barrels are quite light would seem to indicate the gun is in the 6 1/2 lb "game gun" range. 2 1/2 inch chambers? Chokes?
Yes of course.

The gun has 27" barrels with 70mm chambers choked quarter and half as we say in Blighty. (Improved and Modified)

The gun weighs a delightful (to me) 6lbs 5oz,the stock is 14" which is the only slight drawback as my ideal would be 14.5" lop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you! That is one REALLY cool sidelock double with modern chambers and proofs. I think you will definitely enjoy shooting it! It will not take a back-seat to any others in the field! I am green with envy!
Thanks again for your interest and kind comments the gun is a rare find I think especially given it's condition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts