Shotgun Forum banner

Did anybody do ANYTHING today?

201799 Views 3354 Replies 140 Participants Last post by  maggs01
I did!! For the first time in a couple years I went trap shooting. After about a 20 year lay-off four clubs are getting together to revive the Hangover Trap League. I shoot for the skeet team at one of them so what the heck. Today was the first shoot and happened to be at my club. There's a total of eight shoots, two at each club, and a shoot-off. $2/week/shooter goes to prizes, so I don't think many ringers are going to spoil the fun. All four of these clubs are just around the north end of Seneca Lake from me. Three are within 10 miles and one I've never been to is maybe 30 miles down some beautiful country roads. I hope spring gets here because the top-down Mustang is ready to roll!

I don't think I ever posted a pic of my home-made custom trap gun. I found this in a little Mom & Pop gun shop when I was killing time at the Waverly NY Auto Auction. Paid $200 NIB never fired. It's the Nat. Wild Turkey Foundation raffle gun from 2007 made by H&R. I put the custom pad on with a spacer for some extra LOP, not a bad do-it-yourself effort, if I must say so! I added some serious weight in the stock, those H&R's kick like mules! Got a hammer extension, an IM choke, and I load really light 7/8 oz. loads.

First station today I missed three birds, then nailed 18/20 the rest of the way. I kinda forgot how to float the birds. Ended up with a 37/50. I'll take it. I had a blast!.........................the Mailman

See less See more
  • Helpful
Reactions: 3
1 - 20 of 3355 Posts
double20 said:
In an effort to add to the post count, I will state that I am in the process of trying to sell my 2005 Chevy Colorado truck and buying a 2016 Chevy Colorado with the 2.8 liter Duramax diesel engine. I will use the money I sell my current truck for to pay off the loan on my wife's GMC Yukon before taking out the loan for the new Colorado. We have a family camping trip planned in Ohio the first weekend in July and faced with the prospect of a 1500 mile round trip at 10 mpg in the Yukon towing our travel trailer, we decided that instead of waiting until the end of the year for the new truck that we could swing getting it early. Others who already have the diesel Colorado are reporting 18-19 mpg towing around 5000 lbs. My travel trailer is only about 3500 lbs. so I hope to see 20 mpg on the trip.

If all goes well, I hope to have the new truck by June 1st at the latest. That will give me a chance to break it in and put at least 500 miles on it before towing with it. I still have to get a new title for my current truck (can't find the title and don't think I ever had it but that's an entirely different and long story unto itself) and clean it up before advertising it for sale. Then after I sell it and pay off the Yukon, I will have to see what's out there on dealer's lots. There are only 19 diesel Colorados within a 250 mile radius on cars.com right now. There are also 18 diesel GMC Canyons in that same radius. Being that they are still relatively scarce, I probably won't get my choice on color but that's ok. They come in either a crew cab shortbed or crew cab longbed. I want the shortbed for the added maneuverability of the 14" shorter wheelbase but then again the extra 12" of bed space would come in handy. If it comes time and I find a smoking good deal on a longbed, I won't rule it out. Once the process is complete and I have the new ride, I will get some pictures posted of it. I will also give a report on how it does towing my 3500 lb travel trailer on our camping trip when the time comes.
RE: short bed vs long bed -- I've found that the turning radius on my 2015 Colorado (crew cab, long bed) is comparable to that on my 20015 Canyon (crew cab), even though the 2015 is at least a foot longer. IMO, the extra 12" of cargo space is more than worth any perceived improvement in maneuverability you would get with the short bed. So far, the only downside of the 2015 is that it takes up more space in the garage.

I hear you on the availability issue. When I bought mine, there wasn't a dealer within a 450 mile radius that had one equipped the way I wanted it (4x4, crew cab, long bed, gray leather, 17" wheels, sliding rear window, without the Z71 package, ...). I ended up ordering mine from the factory. It took about two months before I got it, but the upside is, I got exactly what I wanted, and couldn't be happier. Hard to believe it's been nearly 11 1/2 months since I took delivery.
cdb1097 said:
Guess I should have gotten the 5.3L 300HP V8 engine instead of the 3.7L 242Hp I-5 :!:

cdb
You could always upgrade to the 3.6L 305HP v6 in the 2016 model. :wink:
RE: Golf
An acquaintance of mine calls it a waste of a good shooting range. :)

Spent the weekend doing landscape work. Saturday, we spread one yard of 1 1/2" limestone in the flower beds. The local landscape supply yard would only load 1/2 yard at a time into the Colorado, so had to make two trips. Considered using a wheelbarrow to spread it, but due to the area we needed to spread it, it worked easier to move it in 5 gallon buckets. Took it easy on Sunday, all we did was replace the landscape edging in the back yard. When the previous owners installed the edging, they didn't stake it down at all (actually, I can't in all honesty say that, in the 75' that we replaced, I think we pulled out six stakes), so it's no surprise that it was all pulling out of the ground. I never want to go through that again, so we staked it down about every 3 - 4 ft.

Next Saturday, we get to haul more rock (for the back yard), and replace the edging around one tree in the front yard. With any luck, that will be the end of the landscape work for the year, and I'll finally be able to go shooting.
See less See more
jer901 said:
cdb1097 said:
jer901 said:
Went out today with a friend who is really into EBRs to get some ideas for optics for my new toy. I ended up buying a Vortex StrikeFire II Red/Green Dot with cantilever mount. With this set up I will still be able to use the flip-up rear sight - just in case the battery in the Vortex dies in the middle of a firefight. Looking forward to getting it mounted and taking it the EBR to the range.
Then you SPRAY and PRAY, SPRAY and PRAY, or just put what you are shooting at in the middle of the optic where the dot used to be. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cdb
You've seen me shoot a shotgun - I've got that SPRAY and PRAY thing down pat :lol: :lol: :lol:
As an old hunting buddy of mine is wont to say,

"If there's lead in the air, there's hope."
:lol:
3 1/2 hours at the gun range today.

First shots through my Savage Axis II (.25-06). Did a version of their recommended break-in procedure.
  • One round, swab barrel with Hoppes, run brush through five times, run two dry patches through. Repeat FIVE times[/*]
  • Three rounds, repeat cleaning procedure. Repeat THREE times.[/*]
  • I had six rounds rounds left, so I shot 'em. Last six shots gave me a group just over an inch at 100 yds.[/*]

100 rounds through my Ruger American Rifle (.223 Rem). After breaking in the Savage and shooting 60 rounds at 100 yds, I was getting a little lax in my aiming, so I walked down to the 100 yd line, pulled my targets and set one up at 50. I proceeded to put 3 out of the next four shots into a single hole - literally, a single hole. You could tell that two bullets had gone through, but the third had to have passed through one of the other two holes

Ended the day by running what was left of a Federal Automatch 325 pack through my Ruger Mk III. 106 rounds in total.

Almost forgot to mention, NEVER trust the "factory bore sight" on a factory rifle/scope package. My first shot out of the Savage was 5 inches right and 4 inches low at 50 yards. :shock:
See less See more
The past five days were spent tearing the old decking off our deck and replacing it with composite. Thank God for friends and family, or this would have been a six month project. I was too busy working to get any pictures, but my mom and my wife took quite a few. I still have a little left to do (finishing the steps and attaching the fascia), but haven't done a [email protected] thing yet today - I'm taking a well deserved day off.
2fewdaysafield said:
jer901 said:
In preparation for the next potential "panic" on ammo, I just ordered a small boatload of IMI 62 grain 5.56 NATO ammo for my EBR. I also noticed Cabela's has Federal .22LR High Velocity ammo for $2.99/50, limit 5 boxes, so I added them as well.
Good move! Unless something shocking happens I suspect the price of anything gun or ammo related will be through the roof for the next couple of years. :(
Well, something shocking happened. :D
cdb1097 said:
double20 said:
casonet said:
I considered the diesel, but with the big up charge for the engine and the extra cost of fuel and urea, the payback period was worse than a 12 gauge reloader: literally years and years
Yea, the diesel isn't for everyone. Especially if you are not towing. The cost for fuel isn't really extra around here. Unleaded just went up and a lot of gas stations are showing $2.22 for both unleaded and diesel. Like I said, it varies but I bet the average cost per gallon has been less than $.10 more for diesel since I have been buying diesel (late April). As for the urea, you only have to put 5.5 gallons in every 6000 miles or so. I get it at a pump at a truck stop and it only costs like $12-$13 to fill it up. That's not a lot of extra cost for every 6000 miles. Oil changes are about twice the cost but you only have to do them about half as often. I was changing my oil every 3000 - 3500 miles in my old gas powered Colorado. The diesel just got it's second one done at 13,000 miles so about every 6500 miles. The real cost will hit once the warranty is up and something goes wrong with the emissions systems. That has the potential to increase maintenance costs over the gas version substantially. We'll see.
My Canyon goes 7-8,000 miles between oil changes.

cdb
Ditto with my '15 (V-6, 4x4, Crew Cab). I'm averaging just over 22 MPG, with the majority of my driving being city driving. When I head up to visit my parents (150 mi one way), I typically get around 25 mpg, and have gotten as high as 28. According to the in-dash computer, my best 50 mi average is 30, and my best 450 mi average is 26+.
billwnr said:
I broke down and got a part time job at the local sporting goods store. I now get paid for talking hunting and fishing.
I've considered doing that after I retire from my day job. My biggest concern is that I would spend more on guns, hunting/fishing equipment, etc than my paycheck.
2fewdaysafield said:
As to having already had Lyme Disease. I have too, but my understanding is that you can still get it again so please be careful.
Your understanding is correct. My dad has had Lyme twice, and tularemia (I think, it may have been one of the other tick-borne diseases) once.
Spent 2+ hours yesterday celebrating Independence Day the proper way - by turning gunpowder and lead into smoke and noise.

First order of business for the day was sighting in my .22. I just scoped it a couple days ago, so needed to make sure it hit where I aimed. Once I got it dialed in at 25 yds, I moved over to the 50 yd line, and proceeded to obliterate the bulls-eye on five separate targets. Beware any chipmunks, red squirrels, or other varmints that deign to invade.

Next up - the Savage Axis II in .25-06. That was already sighted in, but I needed some more once-fired brass so I could work up some reloads. I can't say enough about the Savage Accu-trigger. It is easily neck and neck with my Tikka T3 for the best trigger on any rifle I own. The down side of the Savage is its stock. Very flimsy, and lucky to hold 1 MOA at 100 yds. Seriously contemplating getting a replacement stock from Boyd's to see if it improves the accuracy.

After I finished with the rifles, it was time to hit the handgun range. ~ 250 rounds down range (100 through the Mk III, 100 through the Ruger American 9mm, and 50 or so through the LC9s). I can tell I'm not getting enough trigger time on the 9mms, as my groupings looked more I was patterning a shotgun than shooting a handgun. I guess I need to spend more time at the range (oh, darn).
See less See more
Riflemeister said:
You talk about confusing family relationships, my wife and I are both from the Ozark hill country of Missouri, and my brother and I married two gals that are first cousins (to each other, not me and my brother's first cousins). I like to tell people my wife is related to herself by marriage. She doesn't take that well. I just don't understand why.
That's not unique to Missouri.
  • My mom's sister married my dad's cousin[/*]
  • My dad's sister and my dad's cousin married brothers[/*]
  • My uncle's two sons married sisters[/*]

We're all from Minnesota.
Looks like a Dodge Challenger to me.
I broke a cardinal rule this morning...

For as long as I've been a homeowner, I've had two cardinal rules.
1) Never mow lawn after September 30th
2) Never shovel snow after March 31st

It started snowing some time around noon on Monday, and with the exception of a brief respite around 5:00 that afternoon, it snowed straight through until some time after 11:00 PM last night. All told, we got about 8" of the fluffy white stuff, so this morning before heading to work, there I was behind the controls of the snowblower, clearing a path so my wife and I could get out the driveway.
cdb1097 said:
MNNavy said:

It started snowing some time around noon on Monday, and with the exception of a brief respite around 5:00 that afternoon, it snowed straight through until some time after 11:00 PM last night. All told, we got about 8" of the fluffy white stuff, so this morning before heading to work, there I was behind the controls of the snowblower, clearing a path so my wife and I could get out the driveway.
Technically, you didn't break a cardinal rule, you didn't shovel any snow per se, you used a snowblower, you are still golden as far as I an concerned :D :D

cdb
Unfortunately, I had to clear the walk to the front door, and snowblowers don't work too well on steps.
MNNavy said:

Going out in about 20 minutes to break a cardinal rule of home ownership for the second time in less than two weeks. This time we got over a foot of the fluffy white stuff.
My wife an I spent yesterday car shopping. A couple weeks ago, she was rear-ended at a stop light, and her car was totaled. Here's the kicker - both vehicles were at a dead stop, waiting for the light to change. The driver behind her wasn't paying attention, and when the traffic in the left turn lane started to move, she hit the gas. She had maybe a 10 foot run before she hit my wife's car - a 2017 Chevy Malibu Hybrid. Insurance company totaled the car when damages hit $14K and were expected to continue climbing.
Currently practicing social distancing. I've been in work from home status since Tuesday, and will be for the foreseeable future. With the exception of taking 2 mile walks on Tuesday and Wednesday (it rained all day yesterday), I haven't left the house since I got home from work on Monday afternoon. I'm starting to develop a slight case of cabin fever, and might need some range time soon so I can blow off a little steam.
cdb1097 said:
Can't wait until my kids are cleaning out our house, 187 bags of shot in the basement ( Last count), roughly 1,200+ pounds of cast bullets, 9mm, 38 cal, 45 cal. Probably hear them complaining from the grave :D :D

cdb
Now I guess we all know why what limited amount there is for purchase on the retail market is $50/bag. :lol:
I didn't do a [email protected] thing yesterday.
I wasn't finished, so I plan on doing the same today.
1 - 20 of 3355 Posts