Shotgun Forum banner

Did anybody do ANYTHING today?

201409 Views 3349 Replies 140 Participants Last post by  barrelsquared
I did!! For the first time in a couple years I went trap shooting. After about a 20 year lay-off four clubs are getting together to revive the Hangover Trap League. I shoot for the skeet team at one of them so what the heck. Today was the first shoot and happened to be at my club. There's a total of eight shoots, two at each club, and a shoot-off. $2/week/shooter goes to prizes, so I don't think many ringers are going to spoil the fun. All four of these clubs are just around the north end of Seneca Lake from me. Three are within 10 miles and one I've never been to is maybe 30 miles down some beautiful country roads. I hope spring gets here because the top-down Mustang is ready to roll!

I don't think I ever posted a pic of my home-made custom trap gun. I found this in a little Mom & Pop gun shop when I was killing time at the Waverly NY Auto Auction. Paid $200 NIB never fired. It's the Nat. Wild Turkey Foundation raffle gun from 2007 made by H&R. I put the custom pad on with a spacer for some extra LOP, not a bad do-it-yourself effort, if I must say so! I added some serious weight in the stock, those H&R's kick like mules! Got a hammer extension, an IM choke, and I load really light 7/8 oz. loads.

First station today I missed three birds, then nailed 18/20 the rest of the way. I kinda forgot how to float the birds. Ended up with a 37/50. I'll take it. I had a blast!.........................the Mailman

See less See more
  • Helpful
Reactions: 3
1281 - 1300 of 3350 Posts
Me and jer901 rode down to Westley Richards & Co today in Gulf Breeze. We had a great time with L.D. McCaa talking guns and looking at some very nice doubles and o/u's. Here is John looking over a nice bespoke double 20!
See less See more
tbeaux said:
Me and jer901 rode down to Westley Richards & Co today in Gulf Breeze. We had a great time with L.D. McCaa talking guns and looking at some very nice doubles and o/u's. Here is John looking over a nice bespoke double 20!
Looks more like he's looking over that price tag! Ha ha ha. I'm sure that was a great trip.
I've been working on and off on restoring (resurrecting?) an old boat trailer - it's a (about) 1960 Elgin - because it has a torsion axle, and will have a lot more clearance on two rut trails than my other boat trailer (think duck hunting). I finally got done brushing, sanding, cleaning and priming/rust treating the frame today, after having searched the world over for bearings, races and seals, to make sure I could get 'er done. They don't make'em like that anymore isn't necessarily a compliment :wink: .
Whaaaaat! I'm definitely going to have to visit that place. Thanks for the post! I went out yesterday and filled up a size 13 shoe box full of golden chanterelles in about thirty minutes. Thirty very hot damp minutes. I can't wait to see the pictures of the finished trailer Yornoc as well as the dead ducks
barrelsquared said:
tbeaux said:
Looks more like he's looking over that price tag! Ha ha ha. I'm sure that was a great trip.
That particular shotgun was the least expensive gun in the vault, and the only one with a 4 figure price tag. It was a nice gun, but the matched pairs by Purdey, Churchill, and Westley Richards guns blew it out of the water. One single rack contained 8 matched pairs, each numbered 1 and 2. The retail value on those 16 guns was easily $1.5 million.

The cream of the crop were a few - 3 IIRC - Scottish made David McKay Brown round body trigger plate guns, especially the sweet little 28 gauge. I didn't even look at the O/Us.

I will say that L.D. McCaa is a treasure. He has a wealth of knowledge about English "best" shotguns, and shotguns in general, and is more than willing to share it. He generously spent 2 hours with us and I think I learned more in that 2 hours than I have in all the online reading and discussing I have done over the last 5 years.
I had to go on Google Maps and look up Gulf Beach. It looks like about 60-70 miles from Purdue Hill. Definitely a do-able side trip from Alger Flats. Half those guns you mentioned, I've only seen in pictures in magazines. Thanks for sharing, but thankfully they probably don't have any SXS's with single trigger and POW stock configuration. Me and my wallet are safe for now.
Riflemeister said:
Thanks for sharing, but thankfully they probably don't have any SXS's with single trigger and POW stock configuration. Me and my wallet are safe for now.
They would be happy to build you one to your specs. Lead time is only 3 years. :D

The McKay guns were super nice, but there was also a pair of W.W. Greeners that were made in 1908 that looked basically new. Unbelievable to see a gun 109 years old in that shape.
The double rifles were interesting too. Along with all the original photos and paraphernalia in the shop. Nothing is reproduction, even the old UMC cartridge board in the photo behind John is original and complete!
That's one of the 3 guns I am looking for at the moment. A greener with the greener safety, a hammer 16 and a Wilkes Barre for a friend
Yea, looked at the thermometer, 112 deg in the shade at 1500 and it's June30th. I'll update mid late July. Should be able to make 130+.
It's not hot unless you think it is, the sun is bright as hell though!
Riflemeister said:
I had to go on Google Maps and look up Gulf Beach. It looks like about 60-70 miles from Purdue Hill. Definitely a do-able side trip from Alger Flats. Half those guns you mentioned, I've only seen in pictures in magazines. Thanks for sharing, but thankfully they probably don't have any SXS's with single trigger and POW stock configuration. Me and my wallet are safe for now.
Come over to "the dark side" Riflemeister! Hell! A month or two and you would be every bit as good with 2 triggers as you are with 1.
2fewdaysafield said:
Riflemeister said:
Come over to "the dark side" Riflemeister! Hell! A month or two and you would be every bit as good with 2 triggers as you are with 1.
There was a real nice pair of Churchill XXV 16 gauge guns that the two of you could split and keep your cost under $100k each! The only rub would be which one of you would get #1 and which would have to settle for #2. :lol:
Just to ease this thread out of the stratosphere, I got smoked by a 12 year old today. He and his parents invited me to join them to shoot. Two rounds of trap and one of skeet. Jasper hit 25 in the second round of trap.

Umm, I did not. :oops:
Raining all day in Kansas City. Independence Day may get postponed until tomorrow. Bummer!
The ribs are in the smoker under partly cloudy skies. Sorry about your soggy 4th casonet.
Spent 2+ hours yesterday celebrating Independence Day the proper way - by turning gunpowder and lead into smoke and noise.

First order of business for the day was sighting in my .22. I just scoped it a couple days ago, so needed to make sure it hit where I aimed. Once I got it dialed in at 25 yds, I moved over to the 50 yd line, and proceeded to obliterate the bulls-eye on five separate targets. Beware any chipmunks, red squirrels, or other varmints that deign to invade.

Next up - the Savage Axis II in .25-06. That was already sighted in, but I needed some more once-fired brass so I could work up some reloads. I can't say enough about the Savage Accu-trigger. It is easily neck and neck with my Tikka T3 for the best trigger on any rifle I own. The down side of the Savage is its stock. Very flimsy, and lucky to hold 1 MOA at 100 yds. Seriously contemplating getting a replacement stock from Boyd's to see if it improves the accuracy.

After I finished with the rifles, it was time to hit the handgun range. ~ 250 rounds down range (100 through the Mk III, 100 through the Ruger American 9mm, and 50 or so through the LC9s). I can tell I'm not getting enough trigger time on the 9mms, as my groupings looked more I was patterning a shotgun than shooting a handgun. I guess I need to spend more time at the range (oh, darn).
See less See more
Gave a basket case early real pre hunter LC Smith O grade Damascus barreled gun to a friend for 4 boxes of rst 20 gauge shells because he didn't have a first addition, he will do something with it and he is my friend. Wood is perfect without one hairline crack but the metal needs love. Barrels look incredibly promising. I have a few others that I either need to show some love to or turn into decorations
Picking cabbage heads this morning to make 15 gallons of sour kraut
Ordered a new camo jacket today for the upcoming waterfowl season. Now I understand what my wife used to say abou saving money buying things on sale. :shock: This new job at Sportsman's Warehouse is kinda saving me money. I don't have any $$$ (left) to show for it but I have found some real good deals.
Rainy here this afternoon, with some chance of thunder-bumpers. I'm going to risk it, though, so I've got to go choose a wet weather shotgun. I don't know which double I'm maddest at...
1281 - 1300 of 3350 Posts