Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a CZ Bobwhite G2 in 20 gauge. I am now wondering if I made a mistake not getting the 12 gauge version. I originally went with the 20 gauge version because I read that it weighs 6-6.5 lbs, while the 12 gauge version weighs 7.3-7.5 lbs, which just seems too heavy for a sxs. My LGS also had the 20 gauge on the shelf and it would have taken at least 2 weeks to get the 12 gauge. However, all of my other shotguns are 12 gauge, and I worry that I am compromising too much performance going with the 20 gauge. There is also part of me that thinks that a sxs game gun should be a in the traditional 12 gauge chambering. Unfortunately, I do not have the money to buy the 12 gauge version without selling my 20 gauge. So, please talk me out of buyer's remorse or talk me into trading in for the 12 gauge.

·
Registered
22,716 Posts
Well, if you ask that question down on the Huglu/CZ forum, you will be told to sell the 20 Ga, forget the 12 Ga, and get a 16 Ga shotgun :) :) :) . Yes, I shoot a 16 Ga on all the hunts I go on, only I shoot a semi-auto.

cdb

Reactions: Drive_Alive

·
Registered
515 Posts
Man, you’re not kidding! Unfortunately, getting a 16g would limit you to a Sharptail. I would have loved a Bobwhite G2 in 16.

Anyway, I wouldn’t even consider one in 12ga. I have plenty of other 12ga guns that do the job.

·
Registered
Fabarms L4s Initial Hunter Compact
469 Posts
The 20 Gauge Bobwhite is rubbish. When you get enough posts, you can sell it to me. I am charitable that way. I would not mind owning two.

Seriously, you need a 20 if you have 12s.

Now.. if the trigger pulls are good and the gun patterns well.. you have done this already, right?

What's not to love? These might be sought after in a few years as reliable hunting side by sides. Or... not. Time will tell. I like mine. For the price paid, I can treat it like a few boxes of shells.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You have a lot of experience and comfort with a 12. You should use the 20 to get used to it, to get a feel for it and become comfortable with it. Get with someone who often shoots a 20. They will build your confidence. I'm a 20 ga. person with a few 12 gages. Sometimes, when using a 12 ga, it feels like I'm driving nails with a sledge hammer. I shot a 20 for most all of hunting season this past year. Throwing 1 oz of 5 shot at stocked pheasants is plenty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put away my 12-gauge shotguns a few years ago. Now, I use 20 gauges. Each to his own favorite. I have a Stevens 311 SXS, Love it. Also, a 20-gauge Black Magic that I bought from the late sheriff's wife. I don't think that Ev Butler would mind a friend owning one of his guns.

Reactions: Drive_Alive

·
Registered
220 Posts
Keep the 20 and shoot it. If you don't like it then you can sell or trade. Already bought it...shoot it. There is only one 12 gauge in my safe. All the rest are 20 or 410. I think you are in for a pleasant surprise. Besides, if StinkyPete backs out give me a shout.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. I am sure it will be a great shooter. I think the weight is just about right for a sxs, while the 12 gauge version is probably too heavy anyway. Just hard to shake the notion that 12 gauge is the proper cartridge for a sxs game gun. Hoping to get it out in a couple of weeks and I will let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
.... Just hard to shake the notion that 12 gauge is the proper cartridge for a sxs game gun. ...
The 12 gauge probably is the proper cartridge for a game gun.(y)

However, not sure that effort is actually a game gun in the 12 gauge plus, the 20 gauge is ample for a great deal of hunting or shooting at offered game in many areas, given proper loading, choking and triggering.
Have fun and shoot the bluing off it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a Ringneck that I use regularly for everything, incl waterfowl. I do limit my shots somewhat as to range, but, have also killed stuff at stupid ranges with a 20ga. I've used it in layout blinds shooting geese. With snows, the high circlers will force me to pull out the 12ga later in the AM, but, thru the early season on Specks, Canadas and ducks, I'll use the 20ga. For chickens and pheasants and etc, I use the 20ga. The 1oz loads @ 1350 kill stuff just fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts