Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a shotgun were converted to caliber,
a 10 gauge would be a .775 caliber; 12 gauge, a .730 caliber; 16 gauge, a .670 caliber; and a 20 gauge, a .550 caliber. All would be larger than the .50 caliber machine guns used by most of the Vietnam-era aircraft. Even the small .410 gauge shotgun shoots a larger shell than a .30-06 caliber rifle.

Jay Gentry
Shotgunworld.com

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a Derringer that was called the Guides Back Up or Grizzly Guide, dont recall but it shot both .410 and .45-70. The thing was heavy, but not heavy enough to tame the recoil of the rifle cart. My buddy shot it and his hand/palm area was all bright red after 2 .45-70 rounds. I passed at the chance to be abused.

Rick

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes it is, 36 gauge is just a reference that was used to make a more even numerical system having a difference of 4 between each gauge (0 4 8 12 16 20 24 28 32 36) but after the 24 and 32 became less common 36 gauge was still used for reasons of familiarity although french, austrian and british conversions were measured differently.

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not just mean shotgun shells, but also buletts. So a remington 410 (look at the barells thickness!!) should be able to fire .762 buletts so that is idiot proof. This is why japanese and American shotguns tend to be overbuilt resulting in a heavier gun.

In Europe (England, spain, France etc) the proof house has the legal responcibility of guranteeing that a gun in proof is safe ot fire up to the stamped loads (1000 bar, 1200 bar 1370 bar).
The guns are usually manufactured for twice their service pressure so a 1200 bar shotgun will withstand, but does not get tested at that, up to 1800bar.
In the US they will probably withstand 4 or five times the service pressure. This does not make the gun any safer, just more idiot proof.

I do not own any US guns so feel free to test this on your guns, for my sake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.