Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference? I could look it up but it would be nice if someone could tell me their preference and why. I am trying to make a quick decision.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think the barrels are Invector vs Invector Plus and I do not think the Silver has speed feed. Hope this is right as I am going from memory. Car 54 (Worc) where are you? :D :D

I love my Gold however.

·
Registered
28,183 Posts
evbutler said:
What is the difference? I could look it up but it would be nice if someone could tell me their preference and why. I am trying to make a quick decision.
Same action and basic gun. Today's "Silver" is the standard Gold from 1995 - 2006 sans mag cut-off and speed loading with the semi-humpback (Silver) receiver.

Same barrels, gas system, etc.

If you want a mag cut-off and speed loading, you want the Gold. If you prefer the SL or Evolve configurations, that is part of the "Gold Line" as well. If you prefer a black receiver, that points you to the Gold as well.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The Silver is basically a Winchester SX2 in Browning clothing. The stock, forearm, receiver, and barrel are all Browning, but the insides are pretty much Winchester. Look closely at the bolt and you'll see it's the same as the SX2. The Golds is different. SX2's are rock solid though so no problem there. Like stated before, because of the different guts, there's no speed loading or mag cut-offs. Not a big deal if you won't use them much anyways (like myself). Silver's also use a different barrel that has a lighter profile and a different, lighter rib (same barrel as on Gold Fusion). I own 3 Gold's, and they are awesome guns. No Silver yet, but the new Silver Lightning due out next year is on my list now. In my opinion, you'll be very happy with either gun.

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Everyone summed them up pretty well. They both have the Invector Plus tube system as does the SX2 and SX3 lines.

The first Silvers came with the Fusions alloy recoil and mag tubes making them light in weight. They have since gone back to the steel ones. The Silver also has the Gold's trigger group with the same safety. The Silver has the SX2/SX3 one piece carrier.

While the Silver does not have the speed load or magazine cutoff switch. It can be tricked into having one by pushing up slightly on the carrier and pulling the bolt back. This trick works on the Winchesters as well.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
The gold has a wider space between the carrier and the mouth of the mag tube than the silver. It is possible when loading to get the tip of my thumb caught and it can hurt some pulling it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts