Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the real differences between the Mossberg 500/590/590A1. I want a simple black synth stock, parkerized, cylinder bore shotgun for home defense. The 590 costs a little but more than the 500, but I am unsure what that money gets me. The 590A1 apparentely comes with a heavier barrel and a metal safety button, but a heatshield can't be put on the 590A1 like with the 500/590. I like heatshields.

Anyone have some knowledge about this or a reference website for me to read?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was afraid of this --- no one knows do they?

I emailed Mossberg, but no reply yet. If I find anything, I'll report.

John K.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called the Mossberg service center and offices in Connecticut. I am trying to decide between the 500 Persuader (#50577), 590 (#50660), and 590A1 (#51660) for a home defender.

The 500 is 8 shot and comes with a 20" barrel, blued finish, bead sight, and synthetic stock. MSRP is 341. An add-on heat can be easily installed for 24 bucks.

The 590 is 9 shot and comes with a 20" barrel, parkerized finish, bead sight, synthetic stock, heat shield, and accessory lug. MSRP is 476.

The 590A1 is 9 shot and comes with a 20" barrel, parkerized finish and bead sight like the 590, but also comes with heavier-walled barrell, metal safety button, and metal trigger guard. MSRP is 506. But a factory heat shield cannot be installed. I suppose a gunsmith could custom fit one.

Here was the most interesting thing for me. When I asked if any of the action, parts, or tolerances were different, the answer was a clear no. I called twice to confirm.

·
Registered
285 Posts
John, how important (and why) is a parkerized finish to you?

Unless you just like to jazz up your HOME DEFENSE piece, the $160 (or plus 50%) from the #500 to the #590A1 does not add much to the package, IMHO.

But then, sometimes we just want what we want because we just want it. Been there, done that--and no one has to apologize for it!

·
Registered
285 Posts
John K:

I just returned from my local Big 5 Sporting Goods store to confirm (from another post) that they (Big 5) is currently selling the Mossberg 500 Persuader WITH BOTH 28" vent rib AND 18.5" BBLS for $219.00--that is with BOTH barrels!

MSRP with just the one bbl is $350--additional bbls run about $80 or so.

At this price your getting $430 of gun (and a lot of versatitity)
for half price.

While the gun is not parkerized (your target will never know and we won't tell), the is one h*ll of a deal! 12 ga, 6 shots, synthetic stock, blue finish, 2 bbls, 10 year warrenty for a lousy $219!

My local store say they will be on sale until 7/7! Hope you are in one of the 10 western states where Big 5 is located.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On parkerized finishes: I mostly wanted this finish because I heard it held up better than blued. But your right, the difference is superficial and hardly seems worth the added cost. Thanks for the reality check.

On Big 5 Sporting Goods: I live in Georgia -- no Big 5 for many miles.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Parkerized finishes will hold up better than blue in the long run. However, you can buy a DIY Parkerizing kit...they run about $50-80 and will do 10-30 guns (maybe more). Just a thought, if you really want a parkerized finish.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Parkerized is better than blued but Marinecoat holds up even better. I recommend a 6-shot Mozz 500 or Maverick 88 with a Knoxx Sidewinder Tactical conversion, 18 1/2" barrel, and a black oxide or Parkerized heat shield. Knoxx also makes the excellent recoil-mitigating CompStock as well as the awesome recoil-mitigating top-folding CopStock. Choate and Advanced Technologies both make good full pistol grip stocks if you prefer a fixed stock as well as standard-type top-folders. Butler Creek makes a good side-folder. The crossbolt safety on the Maverick 88 works better with a full pistol grip than the tang safety on the Mozz.

Relish some Sidewinder pics:

ADDENDUM: The Sidewinder does not convert the shotgun into what would "legalistically" be defined as an "assault weapon" because it doesn't alter the action mechanism. It would have to be a semi-auto shotgun that took detachable mags to be classified as an "assault weapon." :roll: Personally, I like the idea of a select-fire (but pump is good too) tactical combat shotgun that takes detachable box mags but is more compact than the bulky and unweildy USAS-12. The Franchi SPAS-15 comes to mind.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 590A1 has a heavier barrel due to a Navy request. They believe the regular 590 barrel might not be able to handle getting knocked around a ship's hold (being all metal you know).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Riiiiiiight.... LOL!! :lol: :roll: :lol:
'Cuz the Navy just chucks their shotguns into a cargo hold. :shock:
I don't believe that even a squid :p would be so bass-ackwards!
Well, now that I think about it.... :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts