Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post this here because I think clay shooters are probably the most serious students of form and technique--even if they don't often use SxS guns.

I've noticed a significant problem with being able to keep a sight picture in focus with a SxS--a problem I've never had with my single-barrel guns. When sighting a SxS, if I keep both eyes open as I've been trained to do with my single-barrel guns, the sight picture seems to shift intermittantly, almost as if my left eye wants to take the dominant role (I shoot righty and have a dominant right eye).

I find that the problem goes away if I close my left eye, but I don't want to unlearn the supposedly good form that has been inculcated in me to date to always keep both eyes open. Am I missing some other technique? Is this a common problem with learning to shoot SxS doubles? Would putting a temporary patch over my left eye shooting glasses lens help?

I've read elsewhere that there are some folks who give up on shooting SxS doubles at all because they can't seem to focus them correctly, and I'd hate to think I might be joining their ranks. I love the look, balance, and swing of my SxS double and I'd like to at least give it an honest effort at learning to sight it accurately.

Anybody ever encountered this problem? Better yet, anyone ever solved it? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
How are you shooting? Mounted gun or low gun?

If you are shooting low gun, delay your mount as long as possible to prevent the left eye from taking over. Be sure to be smooth and not to 'snap' into your mount but take your time getting the gun to face.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a low-gun shooter--inasmuch as I'm primarily a grouse and pheasant hunter. I've shot a few rounds of clays with friends just to tune up before bird season, and my son and I work out with a Do-all foot trap just to keep in shape. So, I'm not a sophisticated clays shooter to any extent, but I would like to solve my SxS sight-picture problem so that I'm a better wingshooter for anything I'm aiming at...

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Yup.... brigdeburner has it right. Focus on the target and only your subconscence periphery vision notes the barrels/bead relationship. Sounds like a bead check to me.

Maltzie

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Try holding the gun sideways.
I have the same problem when using a SxS and eventually gave up shooting them for anything othere than fun. Try as I might I have not been able to overcome that second barrel distracting me. It did seem to help some when I raised the comb a bit but not enough. I eventually got an old Winchester 97 for Cowboy Action shooting in place of a SxS.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Side by sides are holy guns. If God wanted you to shoot an O/U he would have made you with O/U eyes, not SXS eyes.

Seriously though, just look at the target. Taking the beads off the gun will help you do this as well. Sounds strange, but it works.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For starters, I'm a noob. I probably haven't shot 500 clays yet, but most of those have been with a SxS. I'm a little left-eye dominant (and right handed with a serious left shoulder injury, so shooting right handed) but can see the picture from my right eye with some concentration.

My first experience was with a O/U. I found that if I pre-mounted and got my right eye working, it would hold long enough to take the shot. This was a borrowed gun.

Next I tried a CZ Bobwhite SxS. I found that my left eye wanted to take over no matter what I did. I think of it as my right eye being willing to be dominant if it has a sighting plane, and the left does not. In this case my left eye jumped right on that left barrel as a signting plane and wouldn't defer to my right eye. The gun is in the shop right now. If I ever get it back I may put a thin pinstripe down the rib and see if that will be enough to hold my right eye.

I also bought an old Fox B SxS. I don't find my left eye taking over much with this gun. In the case that it does, I just wink my left eye, and my right takes over again. I'm not sure what the difference is between my CZ and the Fox as far as sighting is concerned. For one, the finish on my Fox is dull compared to the CZ. It also seems like the rib stands off the Fox a bit more.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I have always had a problem shooting SxS well. To me it is like trying to line a sidewalk up with the target. I don't even see my bead when shooting, but all that barrel seems to to distract me I guess. I do love the looks of a SxS though and still have an Ithaca NID in 16 I love to play with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.