Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than chokes and maybe barrel length, what are some of the other subtle differences between a gun that you shoot skeet, trap, or sporting clays. I am looking for my first sporting gun and want to hedge my bets. I shoot more trap and skeet than sporting clays. Sporting Clays in Missouri gets a little expensive.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
UKFan said:
what are some of the other subtle differences between a gun that you shoot skeet, trap, or sporting clays.
i think the only minor difference that matters, is the poi that is usually used between the games----but that gap is narrowing i think with skeet/sporting leaning towards a slightly higher shooting gun.

imo, if you were going to shoot all games with one gun, pick simething like a 60/40 poi and learn that gun---the learning curve might be tedious at first on skeet/sporting targets but i think it's better than switching guns/barrels/combs in the long run.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The only change I make is point of impact around 90/10 trap and 60/40 for skeet and sptg. Trap poi is in my opinion a function of how quickly you shoot at the target. The faster the higher you want the poi.

An adjustable comb could be helpful.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Most skeet shooters I know are shooting a high shooting gun, so they can always float the target.

My SC's gun is set up (about) 55/45 which works for me.I like to shoot dropping targets and this set-up does not handicap me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts