Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me say thanks for the opportunity to be on such an informative site. I wish I would've known about it before making my latest shotgun purchase. I thought I'd done enough homework, but still made the wrong choice (in my opinion)
Being that we pursue mostly Canada geese in this area, and decided on a new autoloading 12 bore, I purchased a SBEII in 26". The firearm has been anything but gratifying. It cycles 2 3/4 trap loads no problem, hits dead on with 3" hunting loads in steel, but papering 3 1/2 steel it hit almost 1'hi and left.
Since my purchase last fall (04') I've come to the realization that the 3" stuff will put em on the ground as well as the hard hitting 3 1/2 will.
If had many cycling problems with the Benelli, although it is kept clean and the right typeand amount of oil used.
I phoned our Canadian distributor up here and explained my disapoinment with my firearm that cost me toooo much money. They feel due to the fact it's an Inertia operated gun that I'm not keeping it tight enough into my shoulder, and that could possisbly be it too. We shoot primarily from lay down field type blinds and I can't always guarantee that the gun is sitting tight enough to my shoulder to make it cycle. For me to sell the gun I"ll take a $600-$700 shot in the a** for it. I'm not sure if going to a Baretta Xtrema2 will work any better for me? The distributor might be able to exchange it for another in there lineup ie. Baretta, Franchi, Stoeger, or do I seel it outright and take the whopping loss?
I shouldered other Barettas in the 3 1/2" 12 bores before buying the benelli and didn't like the longer lenght of pull, fatter pistol-grip and foreends, but the xtrema2 did feel good to pull up in the gun shop. Any opinions on which of the 3" auto's with the same lenght of pull such as the ol' 870's that I've shot all my life would fit the bill.
I've been thinkng of the X2, but I'm thinkng of a 3" auto that I can put a rifled barrel on for deer hunting..
Reading Grizzs post about his Stoeger 2000 and the luck he's had with it, sure gets me to scratchin' my melon.
I had the opinion like many that you get what you pay for which is tru in most cases but no matter what I'll never have the confidence in the SBEII again. I know many redaers love em, but I'm not one..The thing with the 3 1/2 guns with me, is the big ball sydrome, but I do believe from researching the 3" will do just as good of job. I don't care anymore if it's a camo gun blk synthetic or wood, by the time the game sees it it's too late anyways.
Please help me out.. :(

Merry Christmas All

Your Friend from Canada

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured too much oil will cause the action to be sluggish if too much is used.
The original mag spring is still in the original magazine, as I only added the mag extension with the part spring to hold the new cap, nothing has changed with the stock mag.
I figured after 500-700 rounds through the gun it would be broke in.
The gun has become so dissapointing that it's like an outboard that has failed you in the past, how can you ever trust it again.
For me to own a gun auto or not and to have to clean it every single time out, that's not the gun for me. I know others who hardly ever clean there's and they just keep working, although I'm not that bad. I need to know that the internal workings are free and lubed to do there thing with no obstructions.
Someone had mentioned of it not cycling on an overhead shot, well I had the gun fire the first shot at a doe (which I hit) then swung on a nice buck right behind her and wouldn't you know it, my faithfull Benelli lets me down. Looked down at 2 slugs still in the mag and hadn't brought one into the chamber . It sure wasn't rudolph that was flying overhead. I completely tore the gun down on a picnic table after that happened, cleaned it, lightly oiled it and it has worked for the 7-10 shots that I've put thru it since. But it's in my mind that it'll not cycle when I least expect it again.
I might send it back to Stoeger Canada after the Goose season is over up here and see what they can find. It could just be a matter that I'm not used to the inertia gun, and maybe never will be, cause when the birds are locked up coming in and I sit up in my field bling the last thing my focus is on is that the gun is pressed against my shoulder firmly enough to have it cycle properly.... it's on the target..
E Roberts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sorry you are having trouble. Remove the stock and make sure the action spring is not gummed up.
The only lube you need is a couple of drops on the bolt rails.
Other than that, I can't think of anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deadapair: I was thinkng along the same lines as you. Too much oil will cause drag, attract more dirt and gum things up quicker then less lube.
I'll never forget gunning Whistlers in a snowstorm off of this island, and a borrowed 1100 wouldn't cycle. Man was it frustrating the h**l out of me. The fellow that lent it to me was proud to let me know that he'd had it all cleaned and ready to go when I picked it up from him.
I tore it down on a rock while the birds poured in all around us, I wiped the excess oil from the moving parts, and did she work fine after that..Something I'll never forget.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.