Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went and shot again this morning (don't even ask how bad I did....... ) and came home to clean and reload. I went through all my STS's and even though they're going into the 6th reload after the factory they look great. The AA's on the other hand are quickly getting torn up. They're starting to crack and split just above and below the crimp area. I actually threw about half of them out and am very disappointed in the low number of reloads I got out of them. I'm leaning more and more towards just reloading the Remmys.

I know that most of you get 10+ loads out of the AA's and since I'm shooting lower loads I figured I'd get at least that many loads out of them. Am I doing something wrong with the AA's?

I guess I shouldn't complain too much since I haven't bought any new shells in months.

Ricky.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I use all Remington hulls for 12ga, and then AAs for everything else. I was disapointed with the 28ga STS hulls, then I loaded up on AA and get annoyed at all the different hull lengths, what a pain!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I don't reload 12g but my bud who has been loading for a million years... I convinced him to try the green Rem game loads, and he won't even touch the AA anymore.

I gave up reloading anything but AA's for the 28 and 410. I have some STS's, but think I'll save them for reg skeet next year.

bd

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
For some reason known only to the reloading gods and my 366 the "AA" hulls work best for me. As you know I got the first K just picking them up at the gun club as they just throw all hulls away. Then I paid the trapper boy to just sell me bags of hulls and let me sort them. I now have 2 1/2 K so I am set for a while.Sooner or later greed will get the best of me and I'll start hoarding again. To old to change my ways.LOL.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Well I have to admit that the AA HS cases do leave a little to be desired, but I seem to pick up, or accumulate, or am given an awful lot of AA HS hulls. I always have several 5 gal. buckets full of them at any time.

These hulls are all once fired and clean, and except those fired from an auto or pump, have never hit the ground.

So I say, "What's the big deal"? So they only last 5 or 6 reloads. Who cares? Certainly not me, as when one batch wears out, I just start a new batch.

12 ga. hulls are so abundent and easily obtained for free, It's hard for me to visualize anybody having a problem keeping an ample supply.

However, I guess it does happen, but not too frequently I wouldn't think. Too many guy's don't reload, and good reloadable hulls seem to abound at most clubs, free for the picking up, or retrieval from the trash barrels.

DLM

·
Registered
536 Posts
Seems like we've gone full circle. Not all that many years ago the compression-formed AA was THE hull to reload for me in 12 gauge. Now, it's the Remington. I still pick up every AA hull I can though. I'm with DL on this--four or five is still ok if they're free.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Chris,
10-4 on the Silver AA's, as they are Compression formed cases. The new HS cases are either the very slick and bright Red ones, or the slick and Dark Gray ones.

Funny thing about those Silver AA's. Sometimes those hulls will seem to last forever and the next ones won't last worth a hoot. Just like the later versions of the red AA CF's.

DLM

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
You are so right. Some give up the ghost after 3-5 reloads and others are like the Eveready Bunny. I finally get sick of looking at crispy crimp that still works and toss them just so I can look at a pretty new hull.
Chris

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Junker, you didn't say if you were reloading 1 oz. AA or not, but if you do, the DRA 12 Pink which DL touts, gives excellent crimps and reliable reloads. I toss them after 7 regardless of how they look. Most any of the Rem. will go 12. Plenty of hulls abound at our range in Houston.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I generally toss my 12 ga AA's after 10 reloads. However, they will load more than if one is in a bind. As with most things, some individual hulls fail earlier.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
D L Marcum said:
Too many guy's don't reload, and good reloadable hulls seem to abound at most clubs, free for the picking up, or retrieval from the trash barrels.

DLM
I must be in a darn power sink or something around here. All I've ever seen on the ground are Estates and Win Universals. The only time there are AA's or STS's on the ground is right after I'm done with a round and on the way to pick them back up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts