Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have instructions on how to disassemble my TMS fore stock? I would like to refinish the wood and I need to remove the metal bits to accomplish that. I have a weight on the front and it will unscrew, but it won't come off. Any help is appreciated.

This is not the best pic, but it shows the weight:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did you get it figured out Doug ?

MX8's etc have two recessed allen head screws in the hinge surface of the forend iron, no clue how the TM1/TMS forend works.

Did you get my reply to your private message re the MX14 ? I see you have sorted out a deal on the Ljutic, I look forward to hearing how that works out for you compared to the TMS.

Bryce

·
Registered
20,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I re-posted this on the Gunsmith forum and Gun Dr. told me what I needed to know. Apparently there is a tiny set screw that is part of the fore arm release mechanism. I never would have found it without his help.

I didn't get your PM. What I got was a message that you had removed it before it was delivered. But, that was during the trouble the site had a day or two ago. I'm still interested in your opinion of the MX-14.

I don't know if you read the who story. I was talking to the gentleman about the MX-14 and told him how my first deal for a stainless Mono Gun fell through. Lo and behold he has a Ljutic in his safe that he is willing to part with. It is currently sitting at my FFL and I'm waiting for him to finish dinner so I can go over and check it out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did delete the message once I sent it, I assumed once it was gone the copy in my out box didn't matter anymore, like an email ?? Seems I was wrong ..... oops !

The MX14 is basically a non adjustable rib version of the MX15. Both share what is essentially an MX8/MX2000 action with drop out trigger and the more elaborate style action lumps that the older MX3 and more recent MX5 etc do not have.

Externally the MX14/15 doesn't have the sculptured fences at the back of the barrel area of the action but that is purely cosmetic, it is done to avoid additional machining/hand finishing on that intricate shape to trim a little cost. I wouldn't have thought it'd make that much difference but I can only imagine they do it for that reason, or just to identify it as being in some way different.

In essence they are mechanically the same as an MX8.

Perazzi have done a bunch of MX somethings over the years and they all share either the MX8 type action with the multiple lumps at the side of the monobloc or the simpler MX3 style action without the lumps. They are either drop out triggers or fixed triggers. Essentially there is only a handful of action and trigger configurations but they have called them everything from MX3 - 10 and 12, 14, 15 plus MT6 (Montreal 1976 Olympics), MS80 (Moscow 1980 Olympics), DB (Dan Bonillas) and a few others I can't think of at the moment. I guess it makes as much sense as calling something a "Silver Pigeon" or a "Special Sporting" or goodness knows what else but it does seem to be a source of confusion trying to figure out just what features a given model has.

Good luck with the Ljutic.

Bryce

·
Registered
20,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it's a little weird, but the PM will sit in your outbox until the recipient reads it. It's a strange system.

Thanks for the info. That's what I was looking for. I think the Ljutic is the right gun for me. At least until the next one. Time will tell. I honestly wish I could find that perfect gun. The MX-14 I was talking about was a combo and he was balking at the trade once he realized that my DT10 wasn't a combo also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts