Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a Stonehenge or Carhenge monument here!

These are "Threshing Machines", or Grain Separators, from the first half of the 20th century. Something I grew up with intimate knowledge of.

First the grain had to be cut and bundled, then the bundles were hand "shocked", (stacked grain end up, like was done with Army rifles, back at Civil War times.) There they were left to dry. Once that was far enough along the threshing, (or in the vernacular of the time and place, the thrashing machine), was brought into play. Set up some where close to grain bins and where the farmer wanted the straw, (my dad had a "threshing run"), that is he owned the machine and traveled with it to other farmers places. They traded help on these "runs", and the farm ladies furnished meals and lunches.

The bundles then were picked up by bundle wagons, (hay rack wagons, essentially), and were delivered to the machine. There they were pitched one at a time into the feeder, and the machine started doing it's job. Grain came out one tube and the straw and chaff were blown out the large, (adjustable for position), tube, into a pile. Grain was hauled away in wagons to bins or graineries.

And yes, some "runs" were still using horses for the wagons and bundle racks when I was very young. Most were converted to tractors, by the time I was old enough to be of any help.

Brings back memories! Hope someone enjoys the story and pictures.

BTW, these machines cost just a few hundred dollars, back then. What the farmers are using today, called Combines, because they cut and thresh the grain, in the field, and on the go which is then hauled away by large grain carts pulled by large tractors, (loaded out of the combine with out stopping) and then put in bins or hauled straight to market by semi trucks. Well, a tractor and grain cart can go to $300,00, and the combines up to half a million dollars. The semi trucks are now the cheapest equipment in the chain!

Wonder why the farmers are clearing all the brush and trees, and farming from road to road? Some places they even bring in heavy earth moving equipment, cut and lay back the top soil, level out the hills and then spread the top soil back out again!

That isn't making more hunting land available. Just the opposite!

Oh, there is an oddity here! Rubber tires! Very, very few were ever made using rubber tires, right at the end of production!

These are set up on the largest hill around that area, and can be seen for miles!

Clyde

G

·
Another American way of life gone aglimmering into the maw of future time. I want to go back to 1940 and live forever being 21 years old with a shiny new model 21, an eager lab and no worries in the world. I want to smell my mom's apple pie cooling on the counter and the taste of homemade peach ice cream in August. I want to be six again and experience the magic of Christmas morning. I want to bring our young people home from a faceless and purposeless war and celebrate their lives with good fortune and food, not their untimely deaths with flags and tears and murmured words of consolation. Tell me again that freedom is not free. I need to hear it.

Louder please, I am old and not what I used to be.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
No, Mike, freedom isn't free, and while it may be difficult to justify this war we find ourselves in now, you may rest assured that the men and women fighting this war get every bit of my support.

Ever since the dawn of time mankind has been seeking and fighting for freedom in one manner or another. I truly believe that we have come closer than ever before here in America and it should be fought for not only on the battlefield, but here at home as well. We need to stand against those who claim to know better than we how we should live, how to raise our children, etc. The government of the people, by the people and for the people is no longer run by the people. It is time to take it back.

We cannot go back in time, but we can be wise enough to learn from our past and use that knowledge to change our future.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep!

BTW, there were pheasants just across the highway!

And even some, back at the old home place in NE. on our way home! Not at all like last year, when after four days of hunting, I had given up two shots to a friends kids, and hadn't yet pulled the trigger myself! (Inconsiderate kids, they couldn't/wouldn't miss!):roll:

I am worried about one of those kids though, as is his dad! He left opening day for SE Asia, Indonesia, I believe, to spend some time as a missionary! Not really too safe an endeavor in todays world! I have another friend whose father in-law was murdered there last year, by those "peaceful" Muslims!

I was worried that the birds in NE. couldn't come back as fast as they apparently have! This is already the best year there, in a quite a few now.

Clyde

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sooner, in actuality I think it is even more than what you said. A lot bigger in fact. This "War" has already been going on for something like 1600 years now! Freedom yes, but even survival as well!

And with the misguided, misunderstood, "peacefulness" of those Muslims, (to them, peacefulness only means submission! Their own definition!), it is likely to continue another 1600 years!

Only two other ways to bring it to an end. One is to "put them back into their kettle" and put the lid on. Even that will not end it permanently, as it has been done in the past, numerous times. They just wait for an opportune time, (reading our weaknesses!), and pop back up again. (They think that they really have us on the ropes this time, due to the lack of stomach the West presently has for confrontation! And they just might be right!)

The other way is to just let them do it to us, and then turn up the fire, (and they will!), totally destroying Western Civilization.

Our choice!

The problem is, with the global increase in population, the shrinking natural resources of the world and the present milk-toast attitude of the West, it isn't likely to go our way!

That is without some vast magnitude of scientific break through in technology, or some global catastrophe, (natural or man made!), cutting the world population drastically.

Clyde

1 - 6 of 6 Posts