Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice above what I have already tried and done. Right now I'm write this gun off, my dealer is willing to work something out with me since this doesn't seem to be getting resolved.

So I purchased a Remington Sporting 28 last February. I won't bother you with my decision choice. I didn't get to take it out to the skeet range until September and everything seemed good the first time out and then the second day the bolt started hanging up when manually closing it with the release.

After dicking around with it and not finding anything obviously wrong I called Remington and they had me send it to a service center here in Idaho. Being hunting season I was a little worried about timing and it ended up taking the gunsmith about 3 weeks to get it worked in. He found that the receiver had a crease in it causing all sorts of problems. ****, bad gun off the line. Happens it just sucks I didn't shoot it earlier and find this out before hunting season.

So he contacts Remington, explains to them it's a bad gun and sends it back to be replaced or have the receiver replace. They received it on November 5th (weeks shipping time).

After Thanksgiving I started calling Remington for the status. They seemed pretty helpful and bumped the priority and told me it wouldn't be much longer. On December 10th I got a little more forceful and asked for a manager. Not sure if it was be he told me that it had been through some run around and he was having it delivered back to the plant where the parts were waiting and it would be fixed pronto. He gave me the service number so I could track it online.

Well today it still wasn't getting any updates so I called back again. The lady I talked to today told me it was going to be another 8 to 12 weeks because they were waiting on parts. I finally lost my temper a little and asked who I needed to talk to about getting a new gun or getting my money back. She put me on hold and came back with they had tracked some parts down and they were going to have them shipped to where my gun was and getting the repair started. But nothing would happen until after the first of the year.

At that point I explained that this was stupid and ridiculous that I would have to wait this long for defective merchandise to be fixed. Kept her on the phone for another five minutes or so complaining and she finally offered up some ammo. I guess they will give me some shells for a gun I don't even have. :roll:

Supposedly it would take well into January to get the paperwork done on a replacement gun and the repair will take less time. Until the lady today contradicted what the gentleman last week told me I had no reason to distrust what they were saying. Now I'm setting here thinking I got fed a line of BS again today.

Has Remington gone this far downhill? At this point I wouldn't recommend a Remington as a fence tensioner. Not because of the quality but because of the absolutely the worst service I have dealt with in a long time.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Recently I've had dealings with Remington. They were not overly helpful at all and I got the feeling the were just screwing me around. They seem not to be the Remington they once were. Otherwise I've been really happy over the years. Since I have all I wanted from them now with the acquisition of my SP-10 I believe it is time to move on.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Lincoln,
I feel your pain. However, it is just the opposite of my experience with them. 2 years ago, the solder connection that holds the gas cylinder to the barrel of my 11-87 failed. The gun was several years old and out of warranty. However, I emailed Remington and explained the problem and simply asked if it could be fixed or if I had to buy a new barrel. I got a reply the next day that a barrel had been shipped that morning. All I was supposed to do was put the old barrel in the box the new one arrived in and send it back freight collect along with a note that it had already been replaced. 3 days later, I had the new barrel and did exactly as they instructed. A few days later, I found another barrel on my front porch. I called and told them I had received and extra barrel and asked what I needed to do. I was told: "If you are happy, we are happy."

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
claybreaker said:
Lincoln,
I feel your pain. However, it is just the opposite of my experience with them. 2 years ago, the solder connection that holds the gas cylinder to the barrel of my 11-87 failed. The gun was several years old and out of warranty. However, I emailed Remington and explained the problem and simply asked if it could be fixed or if I had to buy a new barrel. I got a reply the next day that a barrel had been shipped that morning. All I was supposed to do was put the old barrel in the box the new one arrived in and send it back freight collect along with a note that it had already been replaced. 3 days later, I had the new barrel and did exactly as they instructed. A few days later, I found another barrel on my front porch. I called and told them I had received and extra barrel and asked what I needed to do. I was told: "If you are happy, we are happy."
That is the Remington I remember. I wonder if the ownership changes and the layoffs are having something to do with this. Even a year ago you don't hear many bad reports.

I'm starting to think they want those Walmart sales so bad they are turning themselves into the walmart brand gun, starting with service.

I had just heard of another gun having the same problem as yours. The gunsmith was contacting Remington today. Maybe that will be a clue into anything that has changed. If they take care of him quickly than I'll know this just hasn't been been my thing. He did tell me he has been having a few problems getting parts out of them recently.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did forget to mention I sent a letter to [email protected] about a week ago with no response. Not sure it was his address but it did take three tries before it didn't bounce back.

I also tried:
[email protected]
[email protected]

I work for a pretty big corporation that is about 75 times the size of Remington and not known for their service. An e-mail to the CEO at least gets a response from an admin person saying you will be contacted shortly by the appropriate people. I haven't gotten a response or a bounced e-mail.

I wish I knew if I really did hit the correct e-mail box. I wouldn't mind sending another explaining how it was nice doing business with them. :evil:

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Lincoln - write a LETTER (on paper, not e-mail) to the pres or CEO calmly explaining what happened and that is why you think his company service and quality control is terrible and that it does not shed a good light on them in a competitive marketplace.
Name names - the guy and woman who fed you the s..t.

Be businesslike - don't lose your cool!

Betcha that works.

Good luck - it's maddening to lose essentially a year.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
mike modelle said:
Fellows. Remington is toast.

The patient is dead. We are only waiting for the doctor to declare time of death.
I seem to remember they were saying that about S & W a couple of years ago. Anyway, I had a problem with one of Remington's guns this year, sent it off, had it back within ten days. Unfortunately, they didn't fix the problem. They put on a new part that had the same defect as the original. Regardless, I've used so many of their guns and ammunition over the years, I'm not ready to flush them down the toilet just yet.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
I do believe that Remington is no longer the trusty arms manf of past decades.

Among my registered skeet shooting friends, Jay Bunting who was the SVP of Sales for Remington, was a frequent attendee at some of our local shoots (great shot by the way).

Jay is no longer with the company and I believe this came to a head over differences of opinion on turning Rem into a importer of cheap foreign arms vs a quality and innovative American design and manufacturer.

They are now owned by a financial holding company, that is...its run be accountants and I guarantee that one of the first things these guys look to cut is cost of customer service. Since there ain't no such thing as something for nothing, the result is predictable.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Same thing happened to Home Depot. A bean counter got to be CEO, and he immediatly cut service, one of the things that made them great. Well, profits fell, and I believe he is now out. These people just don't understand what makes a company a great company. All they can see is profits... IMO, if you let them, they would be right back to making 12year olds work under one light in the basement...

My dad use to say, "The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten." I have found this to be quite true... For me at any rate.

bd

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I seem to remember they were saying that about S & W a couple of years ago.
Smith's got it's own share of troubles. Seems that many of the execs bailed on the stock months ago (can you say GUNRON?).

October 1, 2007 Melby, Colton R
Directors Sale +0.13% $1.5M 78,922.00 $18.35 - 18.66 4,081,080.00
Directors Sale +0.13% $2.4M 128,017.00 $18.66 - 18.89 3,953,060.00
Directors Planned Sale -- $4.7M 250,000.00 -- - -- --
September 28, 2007 Saltz, & Noreen Rev Trust
Other Planned Sale -- $4.8M 250,000.00 -- - -- --
October 1, 2007 Saltz, Mitchell A
Directors Sale -0.73% $4.8M 250,000.00 $18.50 - 19.54 2,591,100.00
September 18, 2007 Monheit, Barry M
Directors Planned Sale -- -- 255,654.00 -- - -- --
Directors Sale -- $2.9M 152,487.00 $19.18 - 19.55 384,967.00
Directors Sale -- $2.0M 99,167.00 $19.56 - 19.89 285,800.00
Directors Sale -- $79.6K 4,000.00 $19.90 - 19.91 281,800.00
September 14, 2007 Monheit, Barry M
Directors Sale -- $45.4K 2,300.00 $19.75 - 19.76 537,454.00
September 14, 2007 Monheit, Barry M
Directors Planned Sale -- $45.4K 2,300.00 -- - -- --
September 13, 2007 Monheit, Barry M
Directors Planned Sale -- $837.0K 42,046.00 -- - -- --

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pumpster, regular mail has been discussed but I unless I can't get out of this gun easily I think it will be over before getting it through that way. It would be nice to know if my e-mail went through before drafting a new letter. I agree that not coming across as a flaming idiot helps greatly.

Randy, thanks for that bit of information. I tried like hell yesterday, but when I call back I'll just keep asking for a manager up and see where that goes.

As far as the bean counter philosophy for the most part I disagree. What I've seen the last 5 years are execs that are close to retirement and have huge incentives to run a company into the ground. It doesn't really matter if they do it while they are there or not because they get their severences whether they quit or are fired.

I assume you are talking about Nardelli of Home Depot. He did such a ****ty job they paid him 210 million to resign. I would have resigned for 1/2 of that.
http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/03/news/co ... /index.htm

It's more about making a quick buck and getting out with millions then having anything to do with the continuing operations of a company for long term gain. The new long term is 6 months.

What probably bothers me the most one of my major reasons for buying this Remington was the Made in USA factor. I don't know if it would have been anyworse to get the gun back still defective, at least I would have the gun.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Lincoln said:
I assume you are talking about Nardelli of Home Depot. He did such a crappy job they paid him 210 million to resign. I would have resigned for 1/2 of that.

What probably bothers me the most one of my major reasons for buying this Remington was the Made in USA factor. I don't know if it would have been anyworse to get the gun back still defective, at least I would have the gun.
Strange times we live in... These guys do a very poor job, and get millions to get the he$$ out... I don't know. Sure wish we could put an end to this kind of stuff and get back to making products we can be proud of.

bd

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bel_dad said:
Lincoln said:
I assume you are talking about Nardelli of Home Depot. He did such a crappy job they paid him 210 million to resign. I would have resigned for 1/2 of that.

Strange times we live in... These guys do a very poor job, and get millions to get the he$$ out... I don't know. Sure wish we could put an end to this kind of stuff and get back to making products we can be proud of.

bd
It sad to say, but my philosophy is we need a wall street crash. Bad enough that the suicides come back. People are willing to forgo pride for greed. I blame it on the old people. :lol:

One that constantly surprises me is the CEO of Costo. He defies the wall street people about cheap labor, thinks the company is built with it's people, and continues to demand a reasonable compensation. Do some reading on him if you want some hope. He is contradictory to my old statement though, darn it.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Lincoln said:
One that constantly surprises me is the CEO of Costo. He defies the wall street people about cheap labor, thinks the company is built with it's people, and continues to demand a reasonable compensation. Do some reading on him if you want some hope. He is contradictory to my old statement though, darn it.
The CEO of CostCo? His name is James Sinegal. He may run a top notch company, but I won't shop there. He is also anti-gun, if the candidates he supports is any indication. And those folks won't get this gun owner's money. Here's some of the politicians Mr. Sinegal thinks are right for America: John Edwards, Barack Obama, Ted Kennedy, Carolyn McCarthy, Barbara Boxer & John Kerry. Well here, count how many ardent defenders of our gun rights you find among this exhaustive list.
http://www.newsmeat.com/ceo_political_d ... inegal.php

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.