Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has taken the distance learning course through Modern Gun School? I am thinking about signing up for it to learn the basics of gunsmithing. Any advice or knowledge of this program is appreciated.

Hank

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
You won't be a proficient or professional gunsmith after taking such a series of courses. You will however, become acquainted with the workings of a gun... helpful, but not enough to make a career out of.

If you want to become a gunsmith, there are some colleges that offer it as a major... or you can do it the old fashioned way-- apprentice with a master gunsmith.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Edit: Narrow it down a bit. What's your favorite gunsmithing task, or what's your favorite type of gun to work on?

My $0.02:
Real gunsmithing is not something to learn via correspondence course. It's too hands-on.

There's a couple of fine Community Colleges that are providing gunsmithing courses. I can't think of the names, but PA, CO, and NC are the states that have them. Trinidad is the one in Colorado.

There are some classic books that will help a lot - probabably more than the correspondence course:
The NRA Gunsmithing Guide
Gunsmithing by Roy Dunlap
All 4 Gunsmith Kinks books from Brownells
DIY Gunsmithing by Jim Carmicheal (good primer)
Checkering and Carving by Monte Kennedy
The various Assembly/Disassembly Guides from Gun Digest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts