Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not as I do!

I can't believe it! I don't know how many times I have told others to be careful when removing the magazine spring retainer on an A5. Tonight I was putting a plug in a brand new 20ga A5 in preperation for dove season tomorrow and as I removed the retainer, it shot skyward! Lost forever!? Luckly, I brought some extra 20ga A5s so I took the retainer from a 20ga Mag to get me through the next few days.

I put the Magnum back together without the retainer. Anyone ever shoot an a5 put together that way? Teal season opens the 5th and I may want the Magnum for hunting them. Don't know if Midwest can get the part to me by then.

Anyway, the guys had a huge laugh about it! :lol:

·
Registered
876 Posts
I use a shop rag draped over the end of the mag tube to catch it ( or at least slow it down), I usually install the plug between the retainer and the mag cap, this makes it much easier to install and remove. It has to be in the house somewhere, any luck?

·
Registered
386 Posts
LOL, lucky you didn't get it in the eye!

txrick55 wrote:
I usually install the plug between the retainer and the mag cap
I've been doing the same thing. I also have a couple of dowels that I use as plugs...just slip in w/o removing retainer. Not a bad option if you dont mind the noise the dowel makes sliding back-n-forth when you shoulder for those high flyers!

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I was at camp, outside. One of the kids is bringing a metal detector but I am afraid that all he will find are old pop tops from around the fire! :)

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the Lord is in Heaven and all is right with the world! The kid found about a dozen ring pull pop tops, $1.31 in change, a wedding band and my retainer ring! It was about 25' away! I reinstalled it under a shirt held by two buddies with another guy watching for any "launches". :lol:

13 Geese this AM and Doves this evening! 72 degrees and all is well. Bourbon & steaks later this PM. :wink:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sounds like a heck of a camp and a good day to boot!

Glad you found it.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Decoy,

That is what I figured,too.

As far as my buddies go, they are just a bunch of old fuddyduddies. Like me! :lol: There would have been a feeding frensy around the club if that 1903 Browning A5 that Rsplace bought was offered for auction!

·
Registered
750 Posts
The old, metal ones, I put in upside down, and then install the plug on top...but have you ever thought of some split ring pliers?.....might be worth the $ in your case. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ole Cowboy is right - they work fine without the retainer. The challenge it to remember that when you take it apart later. The spring does a wild dance flying through the air.....
I have the marks on the ceiling above my workbench to prove it.

Cass

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The sad thing is that I used my set of split ring pliers! :lol: That system is a very tricky varmit!

·
Registered
876 Posts
All of mine seem to have a small lip right at the edge of the magazine tube, it takes a bit of persuasion to get the lip of the split ring started past the small lip on the mag tube, once it gets past, it comes all at once.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.