Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Mossberg 500 12 ga. 3in. chamber and a camo stock and forearm and Ive really been getting into trap shooting, but I think I have a problem. My barrel is only 24 inches, right now Im shooting an improved cylinder choke but looking to upgrade to a modified or an improved modified. Should I get a new barrel, say 28 inches? Heres the other thing, I have the matte black finish so I dont want a glossy blued barrel or Im gonna look like an artard :lol: . So can anyone tell me if I can find a 28 inch, vent rib barrel with the matte black finish for a 12ga. Mossberg 500? Any other input or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
Yes, you can get another barrel for your gun. This is just one example of availability:
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0005579212148a.shtml

Do you need a new barrel? My first answer is always no. You can shoot Trap with what you have, but it will be better to have a longer barrel. A 28" barrel will be fine for now, but if you want to get serious about Trap, you will probably want a different gun in the near future.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for the link and the advice.

edit- it seems Cabela's only has the blued finish for the 28in. If anyone else knows of a website with good prices let me know, thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If i cant find the matte black barrel thats 28 inches I might just save up a little bit more money for a new gun, mostly for trap, cause i dont want a blued barrel on a all matte black and camo gun, i couldnt bear to look at it. Anyone got any good sugesstions for a good yet inexpensive trap gun? single shot, pump, auto, o/u, sxs, new, used, ill take any and all recomendations and advice

·
Registered
142 Posts
ClayCrusher48 said:
If i cant find the matte black barrel thats 28 inches I might just save up a little bit more money for a new gun, mostly for trap, cause i dont want a blued barrel on a all matte black and camo gun, i couldnt bear to look at it. Anyone got any good sugesstions for a good yet inexpensive trap gun? single shot, pump, auto, o/u, sxs, new, used, ill take any and all recomendations and advice
Used:
Rem 870 Trap
Beretta A303 Trap

O/U's probably won't fit the inexpensive definition

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can a shell catcher be fitted to the A303?

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
You can get a shell catcher for the 303 here: http://www.tandsshellcatcher.com/ I have one and it works fine.

If you want a new gun and don't want to spend a lot of cash, may I recommend the Browning BPS Trap? If you look hard enough, you can find them brand new for $700 or less. Not only is it a functional gun, but has really nice wood and engraving on the receiver. Here's a pic of mine:

It ejects and loads through the bottom of the receiver so no worries about ejecting a shell into another shooter. The Trap model has a switch so, it's easy to load one round:

This is actually my son's gun, but he doesn't know it yet. :wink:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow Rastoff thats a beautiful gun, i mean really, im sure your son will be thrilled.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'd shoot the Mossberg as is exept for getting a different choke like a modified, im. mod., or full. Then I'd after shooting trap for a little bit to see if your gonna like this game or not save up to buy a nice used dedicated trap gun. That's just my opinion though...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea thats probably the best route, or atleast the cheapest. But i used to shoot trap and sporting clays regularly but had to stop due to money, but now that i got a new job ive started back :mrgreen:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.