Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guy's:
I haven't seen this mentioned on these forums.
We have in the UK, a shooting game called a 'Flurry'.

Shot as a team with two or more shooting cages lined up.(similar to 5 stand),
50 bird, or even up to 100 bird, depending upon the size of the team.
One call of 'pull' and the targets are released in singles, two's three's and four's, until they have all be launched. Usually timed to give the shooters time to reload.
The shooting by the team will seem like a 'free for all' but if shooters fire on the same clay, other clays sail then sail on by.
Great fun to shoot, especially if the team are of similar ability.
Sometimes, a few different coloured clays, say, white are launched, and are to simulate protected species and are penalised if shot.
Do you guys have something similar?
Ensign:

·
Registered
502 Posts
ensign, At on of the clubs I frequent occasionally the will set up a flurry shoot over on the skeet field.

two cages, one shooter calls pull and five birds fly out at the same time.

one from the high house, one from the low house, one from the trap house and a pair from the tower behind the shooters of which one bird will be of an off color which if shot it is a penalty.

The cages are set 20yd behind the trap house.

It is just a hoot to shoot.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
At the range I frequent, in the fall they often run either a "pheasant flush" (outgoing and crossing targets) or "duck flurry" (incoming and crossing targets). Shot either alone or as a pair of shooters, 32 targets with a single or pair released every 7 seconds until the 32 targets are gone. Unbelieveably fun. And yes, it's possible to run it alone with an O/U.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Ours is set up on a 5 stand field using 5 machines, without the rabbit and long trap target. 32 targets released by computer in 1 minute, 2 shooters and you know what the 1st 4 targets will be, the rest you don't have a clue.

Sounds fairly easy but i've only seen a perfect score twice in all the years we've done it. The only time I shoot an O/U.

$20 a team and it pays out every 10 teams, $7.50 per shooter back into the pot and usually one place paid, or $75 back to each winning shooter.

The most popular game, done mostly at benefit shoots.

There is an easier flurry using one oscillating machine, throws 60 targets in a minute but 3 shooters on a team.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We do it at the pre duckhunting shoot,load up your semis and pumps with all the shells you can jam in them and cut loose.
Theres always an embarassing silence about half way through while everyones trying to jam more shells in,even though your supposed to shoot in turn,'buck fever' usually prevails.. :lol:

·
Registered
456 Posts
My club did something similar at the opening of dove season this year. We had two side by side shooting stations surrounded by 12 traps. At the first call of pull, targets were released in a predetermined sequence. We had easy, moderate and insane menu's to select from. The easy menu mostly released targets as singles with the insane menu releasing mostly true pairs. Since the shooters were surrounded by the traps, the presentations included incomers, outgoers, crossers and overhead shots. The pullers were instructed to allow some time for reloading. The shooters decided how they wanted to work the course of fire. Each round consisted of 65 targets. It was hilarious to watch.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Ensign,

You should come to our Boxing Day Shoot at Deer Creek - not only will you have a two man flurry, but a Long Bird Pool Shoot, sub ***** 50 bird shoot, AND Pasties and Mushy peas for lunch and a demo of sheep dog trials

Roger

yes it is on 26th December

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roger Gascoigne said:
Ensign,

You should come to our Boxing Day Shoot at Deer Creek - not only will you have a two man flurry, but a Long Bird Pool Shoot, sub ***** 50 bird shoot, AND Pasties and Mushy peas for lunch and a demo of sheep dog trials

Roger

yes it is on 26th December

Hi Roger:
Thanks for the invite, another time perhaps. (You're on my wish list) :wink:
I don't trust Pasties though, it's only since I found a piece of meat in one with an anchor tattoo. :shock:
Ensign:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts