Shotgun Forum banner

Do You Use A Dehumidifier In Your Gun Safe? What type?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been discussing a chamber rusting issue a friend has with an older blued steel gun. I had thought everyone used a dehumidifier of some sort in their gun safes especially in a climate like FL where we are located. He said he was not but is now going to do so.

Just curious how many use a dehumidifier and what type; desiccant crystals or heating element like the "Goldenrod" or none?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Always. Always both. The heater rod is nice but it does not drive out all that much of the moisture but is does help. Desiccant on the other hand, it what we use in industry to keep things dry.

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Always. Always both. The heater rod is nice but it does not drive out all that much of the moisture but is does help. Desiccant on the other hand, it what we use in industry to keep things dry.
Ditto! It is imperative here with 100% humidity all the time! Not only to prevent rust, everything will turn green with mold. I dry out the desiccant about twice a year. I think silica gel is pretty standard. When I was a kid, I didn't know anybody that had a gun safe but people would put a light bulb in their gun cabinet for the same reason.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Nope. When you live at elevation between the Mojave Desert and the San Joaquin Valley winter humidity percentage is measured in the teens and we're seriously discussing putting a humidifier in the house system. It's annoying as all get out when you're getting shocked all the time from the static.

tp

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have two 24" golden rod's in mine--one on either side. When I grab a gun, it is just slightly warm to the touch. Been doing that since I had a Marlin .22 get a spot of rust in a gun cabinet in 1996. No rust/pitting since that one time on any of my guns.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope. When you live at elevation between the Mojave Desert and the San Joaquin Valley winter humidity percentage is measured in the teens and we're seriously discussing putting a humidifier in the house system. It's annoying as all get out when you're getting shocked all the time from the static.

tp
Would you please record your vote for "None" so we can keep an accurate count? Thanks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
FWIW My son kept one of those dessicant pellet baskets on his gun safe top shelf. My DIL was removing that unit and the liquid accidently spilled on the firearms below. Its very corrosive and does a great job removing blueing and replaceing with a fine patina of rust!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, remember that many materials - and some gun oils - can be hygroscopic. They will pull water out of the air, no matter how dry. A big can of desiccant is cheap at 20-40, can be recycled forever and doesn’t need power. I use a goldenrod but in DC Metro, I still measured high humidity in the safe - which gets a fresh charge of moisture when the safe is opened. When I put in the desiccant, the humidity levels dropped considerably.

·
Registered
480 Posts
FWIW My son kept one of those dessicant pellet baskets on his gun safe top shelf. My DIL was removing that unit and the liquid accidently spilled on the firearms below. Its very corrosive and does a great job removing blueing and replaceing with a fine patina of rust!!!
I made this same mistake. It's a nightmmare.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I use the Eva-Dry type that you plug into an outlet when the crystals change color. I keep one in each safe. During the summer, I have to "re-charge" them about every week and a half; but in the winter, I only have to plug them in about once a month. They recharge overnight and then back in the safe they go. Been using them for years with no issues.

·
Registered
24,837 Posts
After moving from northern NV where the humidity averaged 15% to Florida where it averages 92%, I use a golden rod on the floor of the safe and two big desiccant boxe on the middle and top shelves. Combined with silicone socks (also great to prevent stock dings) no issues with rust on any of the guns in there.

Reactions: oyeme
1 - 20 of 23 Posts