Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was leaving the Club last night, after I completed my 4 lines for our 16 yard singles Trap league, I took time to notice all the shotguns in the numerous racks.

Seems most of the people here use o/u or single barrels for trap. Very few, with the exception of the very young or "older shooters" use Auto's.

So I'm curious as to how many others use the Auto and why?

Happy shooting................................Levi

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I'm an O/U or pump guy for everything. Something about an auto just never really felt "right" to me. My son though shoots a Beretta 391 RL Parrelle Target for trap and a Browning B-80 for hunting. He loves his autos. He's only 12 though so I guess that would put him in the catorgories you mentioned. Lack of recoil is why he likes them. He's running a 94.3 at 16yrd and a 91.4 at 21yrds so I guess it's working ok for him. There are no serious shooters at our trap club that regularly shoot an auto.

Tim

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Levi 42 said:
Very few, with the exception of the very young or "older shooters" use Auto's.
Guess I have arrived, bought my 1st trap autoloader on Dec 3, 2005 after 35 years of shooting trap.

It is the first autoloader I have bought since 1985.

Until this summer, I have never shot a full round of trap with a gas operated autoloader, I have always been a pump and o/u guy.

My wife shot 1100's very well when she was shooting before some old injuries from decades ago caught up with her shooting.

Last summer, I felt like buying a new gun because I hadn't done so and buying one upsets Canada's current ruling Liberal Party, so there's an added satisfaction there.

I was full prepared to by a break action gun in the $2,000.00 to $3,000.00 range.

I tried my wife's 1100TA Trap which fit me as well as my 870TB and 870TC; took it out to shoot "one" practice round. By the end of the afternoon, I had put all my ammunition through the 1100. First round was a 25, I recall I wound up with 97 or 98 for the day in casual 16 yard prcatice.

The 1100TA made more trips to the range in August and September and I then ordered an 1100 Classic Trap, partly because my wife told me to :wink: , she has been my shooting observer for a long time now and is very astute in judging how I handle and react to a particular gun.

The 1100CT has been execellent so far, nice wood, better fit and finish than my 1976 870TB, fits me like a custom gun and the weight and weight distribution suits me perfectly.

Function has been 100% so far.

At 53, I have a few aches and pains in the neck & shoulders and I like the lower recoil sensation, I find I keep my head down more consistantly than before.

Most importan, as mentioned perviously, the 1100CT's dimensions and weight/weight distribution are ideal for me; this translates into confidence and broken targets, which was the goal.

For me, I have no doubt it was a good choice.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I own 3 dedicated trap guns - a pump, a competition single barrel, and an autoloader. I rotate which guns get brought to the range on any given weekend, since I like the variety.

After weighing each of my guns, my 1100 Classic Trap is actually the lightest gun, at 8.25 pounds. My other two trap guns weigh 9.0 and 9.5 pounds, respectively. Recoil is about equal on all three guns.

As for "why" - I bought the 1100 Classic Trap because I was so pleased with my 1100 Sporting 12.

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
I used to shoot a Browning Gold auto, then bought a Beretta 682. I just shot better with it, and it was so much easier to clean that I never wanted to shoot the Gold anymore.

Then my wife decided to move up to 12 ga. so she got the Gold to cut down on recoil - she's had surgery on her shooting side, so every little bit helps. Now I have to clean the semi again.

Oh well, it could be worse. Her 20 ga. is a Remington. I'd rather clean the Browning than the Remington any day of the week.

(Don't bother saying she should clean her own gun. It ain't gonna happen! :lol: )

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
i now shoot an auto, so i know the poi will be the same for two shots, i also shoot this gun as well as any single or stack gun i have ever owned/shot. it's also very soft.

when i get better than it is :roll: :roll: i'll change

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey TexasTon,
You are holding out! Which auto? I am considering a 391 Parallel Target. What do you think?

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
Years ago I shot an 1100 for a while, not too well I might add. Didnt own one again until about 5 years ago when I bought a 391 Trap. Shot it at trap for a year or so before I bought a 90-T. The 391 was just riding around in the pick-up so I traded it for another M-12 Trap.

Nothing wrong with an auto for trap at all, except they may be a little more prone to breakage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I shoot an Auto gold hunter because I bought that gun primarily for hunting. I'm not a serious trap shooter but i love to get out there as much as possible. When I can afford it the gun I want is a BT-99, but untill then I shoot my all around browning. Claydust, Do you think that everyone on this board is a righty just because they have a gun? We'll then that make me a gun toting Liberal! :)

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
KT57 said:
Hey TexasTon,
You are holding out! Which auto? I am considering a 391 Parallel Target. What do you think?
i have shot a pt 391 considerably, is the gun i bought for my son 4 years ago, though he is unable to shoot alot, it's had around 3.5-4k rounds a year thru it. it still performs as expected.

i shoot an sx-1, i won't suggest one because the day will come when parts are gone----services unavailable

i am of the opinion that for a target gun, and the owner desires to become proficient with it, he should pick one and marry it without the chance of divorce :roll: if he wears it out---pull the wood off the old gun-put it on the new steel. and shoot it for every discipline he competes in.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Daverojo77 said:
Claydust, Do you think that everyone on this board is a righty just because they have a gun?
I don't know where you are from or if you are familiar with our situation here, so I should explain the context of my comment;

I was refering to the term in context to this country and the ruling Liberal political party who has inacted the most draconian, expensive and also ineffective firearms legislation in this county's history. Their legislation has been very good at targeting the law abiding hunter, target shooter or collector though :roll: This includes the multi-billion $$$ gun registry.

Aside from the reference to the Liberal party, here in Canada, I am realy not very interested in the political beliefs of individuals (which IMHO, is their business) and the insuing name calling and endless arguing that I see on internet forums on the subject.

I normally try to refrain from political discussion on shooting forums. This post is about autoloaders for trap shooting, I made the error of trying to inject some humour into the discussion, with reference to a Canadian political party that has done a lot of damage to the shooting sports here, this was based on the election which is coming up later this month here.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hey Claydust,
I certainly understand your situation because it's even worse here in BC because Ottawa doesn't even know that we exist.Funny though that they're fully aware of our firearms,but not us as people(Daverojo77,FYI this also is an attempt to inject a bit of humour)
Back to the autoloader question.I've built an 1100 trapgun for my daughters to shoot.The main reason is with the addition of a Limbsaver Pad,my extra light loads and the already low recoil of the 1100 its become a pussycat of a gun to shoot.I shoot break action guns myself and have done so for years.I haven't tried the 1100 yet but that may change tommorrow because when I got home from work today,waiting in the kitchen for me was my NEW SCHWAB 1100 RELEASE TRIGGER(Yes,I admit it,I can't pull a trigger when I'm on the line.)The girls may have a problem wrestling the gun away from me after tommrrow!
Dave

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
I used to use an Auto, but switched to an O/U. My wife now uses the Auto. I have a shell catcher for it so the hulls don't spray the guy on the next station (and so I don't have to squat and waddle to pick them up).

Why did I use one? Well I switched from a pump. The pump worked fine on the trap field, but skeet and sporting clays have doubles and I just would forget to pump because I was so accustomed to only taking one shot on the trap field.

Why did I switch? I bought the O/U because I liked it better and because I had a chance to buy a really good gun at a decent price. Without that, I'm probably still shooting the auto.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
Trap also has doubles, Red. Give them a try sometime with a pump. I have a shooting buddy that can shoot trap doubles with his M-12 so fast that you would swear it sounded like a single long shot. I shoot mine at doubles, but not like that guy can.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
redbeard said:
I used to use an Auto, but switched to an O/U. My wife now uses the Auto. I have a shell catcher for it so the hulls don't spray the guy on the next station (and so I don't have to squat and waddle to pick them up).

Why did I use one? Well I switched from a pump. The pump worked fine on the trap field, but skeet and sporting clays have doubles and I just would forget to pump because I was so accustomed to only taking one shot on the trap field.

Why did I switch? I bought the O/U because I liked it better and because I had a chance to buy a really good gun at a decent price. Without that, I'm probably still shooting the auto.
Hah! I am a singles trap shooter and when I tried five stand it was as if I was paralyzed... my finger didn't want to pull the triogger a second time. That makes for low scores!
...j

·
Registered
90 Posts
Claydust, Please accept my apology I was not trying to start a forum war, and thank you for taking the time to explain the situation in Canada and what you meant by the comment. I agree with you when you say they pass a lot of legislation (feel good laws) because none of hose laws are abided by the people they should be intended for...criminals. :shock:

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Daverojo77 said:
Claydust, Please accept my apology I was not trying to start a forum war
No prob.'s :D

The written word on forums is not always the best to judge the intent of the writter.

Daverojo77 said:
thank you for taking the time to explain the situation in Canada
I hope you never have to find this out first hand, it is disconcerting if you love your country but the gov't treats you (after 35+ years of shooting w/o incident or un-lawfull act) like you are a problem and a threat.

Anyway, on to better things....

It was 36F here today, no wind, sunny I actually got a bit of a sunburn on my face from the glare off the 2" of light snow on the ground; an excellent day for trap.

I shot the 1100 Classic Trap again today and enjoyed it, confirming I made the right choice, for me, to order it.

Got in three rounds at 16 yards, 23, 23 (shooting too fast, should know better by now :oops: :oops: ) and finished with a 25 :D

·
Registered
797 Posts
I tried my 1100 with the new trigger today.I only got in one round with it because my daughter wanted to shoot more than usual.Things were going good until the 24th target.Seems that it zigged a bit right while I zagged a bit left.Finished with a 24.That 1100 is now the closest thing to a recoilless gun as I've ever shot.I've got a feeling that I'll be shooting it more often now!
Dave

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
vetteman said:
That 1100 is now the closest thing to a recoilless gun as I've ever shot.I've got a feeling that I'll be shooting it more often now!
Dave
Thats how I got "sucked in", trying my wife's gun.

There were two issues;

1.) The gun has been professionally fitted to here and I had to add a slip om recoil pad to bring the stock back to factory LOP for me.

2.) The old 1100TA is her favorite and is not negociable.

What a great excuse to buy a new one, then as I said before, she TOLD me to buy an 1100CT, so I didn'y have any choice in the matter :wink:

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I only shoot trap to help keep my shooting proficient for hunting. I only use auto's for all of my hunting so that is what I use. They range from a 6 3/4 lb Franchi AL48 (12) with a 26" barrel to A 7 3/4 lb Browning Gold 3 1/2" with a 28" barrel. I usually shoot between 50 to 100 rounds at a time. It could be with one model or up to four.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts