Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K-80, thirty inch bbls, a Sporting Clays gun with a #3 SC stock, w/adj comb. The barrel hanger is stamped with a 4.

Noticed that if I "float" targets a bit I'm taking the bottoms off and if I float too much I'm chipping or missing them.

So today I patterned my gun without Kolar tubes,using an IM choke , in bottom bbl, at 20 yds to see my POI. After several shots with both 8's and 9's I am shooting pretty perfect 50/50 patterns, nicely centered on my aiming point.

Installed the 20 ga tubes and they are also pretty near 50/50 with both top and bottom bbl. Though with their SKT chokes not as easy to see a "circle" as with the tighter IM choke.

SO....am I wrong wanting to float the birds a bit? Stick with a flat gun or try another barrel hanger to get a slightly higher 60/40 pattern??

I shoot 95% skeet with a little Sporting occasionally.

FN in MT

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
that's excatly what my k-80 does, set up to the tee as your gun is. I patterned my 20, 28, & 410 & I'm getting 50/50. patterns looked good in 28 & 28, 410 looked a little weak with .005 best of luck

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
The hanger regulates bottom barrel only. In my opinion, for skeet, you want both barrels shooting the same pattern. That means if you want it higher, you need to send it back to Ottsville so they can change the POI of your top barrel and then they'll put whatever hanger on they need to to match the bottom to the new top POI.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
Mike - I believe the purpose of different barrel hangers is to get both barrels shooting the SAME point of impact...whatever that may be. With on barrel fixed (and hopefully shooting straight) one would get the correct barrel hanger to get the other barrel shooting the same. Then, with well regulated barrels, you adjust POI with comb height....no?

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Ottsville can actually set the top POI to whatever you want (within reason), with stacked beads as their reference. Of course, on our end, comb height is the easiest way to adjust POI, but not everyone is comfortable seeing space between the beads to get a higher POI that is desired when their gun with stacked beads shoots 50/50. The barrel hanger is to match the under barrel POI to the over barrel.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
As noted, if you change the hanger you will end up with something like 60/40 on the bottom bbl and 50/50 on the top. Probably not what you want in a Skeet gun. That sporting stock is a bit low to begin with for Skeet, so raising that adjustable comb would be the way to go.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Instead of falling into the trap of my usual OVERTHINKING of a situation.....I'm going to just shoot the gun and be done with it.

Raising the POI to 60/40 will mean all of 2" at skeet distances. I'll just have to learn to keep my elevation closer to the flight of the tgt. Versus floating the bird like a trap tgt.

FN in MT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts