Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hmmm...how did you get it all to fit with one pedal now occupying the space of your shot?

If it doesn't cause an over pressure situation and isn't dangerious to shoot, the wad ought'a fly like a four bladed helicopter on three blades :wink:

Seriously, I'd recycle the components and get it right...regardless of whether we think it effects pattern or not! IMO

sc edit

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm curious to know how YOU know that there is a petal folded under in a finished shell and why you didn't deal with it when it happened? In any case, I'd recycle the piecesparts.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Swampwood said:
Hmmm...how did you get it all to fit with one pedal now occupying the space of your shot?
It will fit because the wad petal occupies very little more volume in the folded down position than in the upright position against the hull wall.

I doubt that it will pattern much differently than a correctly loaded wad.

That said, why in the world would you continue loading when you know the wads are incorrectly loaded? Stop, fix the problem, then load them correctly. Sloppy loading leads to inconsistent loads at the best, disaster at the worst.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Quartering,
Obviously some of the responders don't get the question. The answer to your question IMHO is MAYBE, but I doubt it effecting the patterns severely. The exposed shot will be subject to barrel scrubbing, and that creates fliers due to deformed shot, and does detract from the pattern. The severity of that MAY effect your pattern, depending on the severity of the damaged shot.

Obviously, any reloader that observes the folding of a wad in a load will correct that condition before proceeding on. However, many times this will happen and isn't caught by the reloader, and is subsequently fired without the knowledge that the shell contains the folded wad. Usually there is no detection of the occurance when the shell is fired. In my opinion, 99% of the time, no effect will be observed at all.

This is one reason to NOT use the 8 petal wads, (Jammers), as they are prone to have one of the petals to go inside the rammer tube, without detection. Just can't be a good thing, and for that matter, I see no advantage to their use anyway. Just some marketing hype that has stuck and won't turn loose. They cause more problems than any possible advantage the design may have. Just another aggravation that we do not need.

DLM

·
Registered
200 Posts
FlyChamps said:
It will fit because the wad petal occupies very little more volume in the folded down position than in the upright position against the hull wall.
Yea, the :idea: came on after I thought about it.

I use 4 pedal wads and could not begin to visualize getting 1 of 4 petals under my ramming tube on my single stage machine, as I phyisically insert each one by hand and am not familiar with the progressive or auto machines!

As the post did not give details I just assumed the position of my setup...duh :oops:

·
Administrator
23,822 Posts
Seems that we are entering another time period where the posters assume that we are all the Great Carnac and know exactly what they are using for components and what gauge, model and brand equipment the question pertains to.
It might be time to stop guessing and require the people with questions to fill in the blanks. My Carnacian powers are getting weak and I think DLM might be having a bit of the same happening to him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.