Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a beginner, I have that problem of not knowing where my shot stream goes at times. Since this is a problem that all kinds of shooters probably have now and then, it seems to me that some inventive person must have figured out how to imbed some kind of object inside the shot stream that releases a visible indication of where the main body of the shot is at, say, 30 yards.

The problem seems like it could be a very difficult one considering the many factors involved, and the unruly nature of expanding shot. If nothing has been developed yet, it would sure be helpful to know the results of other attempts at the problem.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The answer is Yes!
I have not tried them but you can get these tracer rounds from:
Fire Quest

12 GA. "Tracer Pattern"

"TRACER PATTERN" contains a tracer ball that travels with your shot pattern to show where you are hitting. This tracer ball is ballistically matched and remains near the center of the shot pattern for the effective range of a regular shell. "TRACER PATTERN" allows your hand-eye coordination to develop more quickly, allowing you to adjust your aim, reduce training time and wasted shots-thus improving your accuracy! The composition of the tracer compound is non-phosphourus & are non-corrosive to your shotgun & is fully visible day or night. (CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO NEW YORK CITY OR SURROUNDING AREAS.) 23/4" round

3 Units Per Package $15.99 $13.99 On Sale!
25 Units Per Package $89.99
If you use them please post a product review on thier performance and let us know if they helped you.

G

·
Under the right conditions, you can see the shot cloud. High humidity, or at night with the lights behind the shooter. It is easier for the observer than the shooter to see. Also of some possible interest, I was using a tracer load to shoot some pest blackbirds, and hit an incomer in the breast, with the tracer, and he kept right on flying!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Has any shell manufacturer produced a shell with day-glo painted lead shot?

Would the 'cloud' show up?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
A shooter who was having trouble shot some tracers on Sunday; general consensus was...spend your $$ on regular ammo and practice more! :eek:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks, but this ain't the issue.
You see, lead prices over here have resulted this month in a $80 increase per 1000 of some shells - and more price hikes to come.
Lead is being retrieved from shooting grounds for reloading. I aim to clean some and coat it with day-glo paint:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Floating Chamber, the shooter didn't see (any of) the tracers! For the missed birds he still needed experienced shooters' help; for the birds he did hit, tracers were a moot point. Give us your feedback.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sorry, I think you are missing the point.

Reclaimed shot is to be coated with day-glo paint. This is experimental; we are not considering conventional 'tracer' loads which I agree, are expensive and IMHO are innaccurate.

The coating is to smooth out the surface of reclaimed shot and 'illuminate' the actual shot-cloud. It is purely an economical exercise.

So, do you think the 'swarm' would be visible to an instructor standing behind the shooter?

·
Registered
288 Posts
No, and I ain't gonna re-melt it and put it through my Lyttleton! :wink:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I might be wrong, but I look to see where the wad goes and figure my shot was in front of it. Tim

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Floating Chamber said:
So, do you think the 'swarm' would be visible to an instructor standing behind the shooter?
YES! (I also think that a "good" instructor could see the shot placement without the paint, IMHO.)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Tim C said:
I might be wrong, but I look to see where the wad goes and figure my shot was in front of it. Tim
Tim, I think the wad slows down very quickly as it leaves the muzzle. The drag must be terrific!

·
Registered
839 Posts
We had one of our club members try the tracer shotshells for coaching his kids.....didn't work well at all. "Tracers" could not be seen in bright sunlight. Best tracer type shotshells I've seen were the old ones (paper hulls) made for the military for aerial gunnery training. IIRC, the box is marked as being a fire hazard for 200yds downrange.

You have to watch out for those "specialty" shotshells. Some of them can and will tear up a barrel in short order.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
If you use low-velocity (low-recoil) shells then someone looking over your shoulder can see the string. It's cool! My instructors have always done that it it has helped me a lot

Frank

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Floating Chamber said:
Tim, I think the wad slows down very quickly as it leaves the muzzle. The drag must be terrific!
FC, depends alot on the wad, on 40 yard pattern tests I have seen wads not make it 15 yards, and have wads that will tear the pattern near center, so quick you can't tell the difference in when the shot hit, and wad hit, but it had to hit later------just too small a time frame for the naked eye to discriminate.

I can tell you that thru my guns, the wad that tears the pattern will produce the tightest core and highest pellet count, by far, though the very outermost fringe of a 30" circle suffers.

Back to your thought, about 20 years ago I washed about 5 pounds of shot, dried it and laid it out on newspaper, painted it with flourescent orange paint-----allowed to dry and carefully turned it over as best I could and painted the other side, then attempted to cure slowly in an oven. I loaded it in typical reloads of the day and only under lights at night, was an orange glow visible. This was also in a condition when regular target shot is usually visible.

As far as coatings are concerned, especially at night, Gamebores "Diamond" shot is the most easily seen IMO.

Now to the tracer idea, I think someone should learn (or allow their brain to learn) what leads are needed on crossing targets, the only way to do that is to repeat successfully, target breaks and it learn.

However, for those of the "now" generation, there is a new company that produces the wad and element contained in the wad that is consistent in ballistics of 7 1/2 shot. The company is called ACU-TRAC and if I remember correctly, they sell 100 for about $20. This is the wad and element only, you load them. They also warn these should not be used in the field, only in controlled target environments-----for fear of fire. That takes out pretty much any Sporting courses and alot of T&S as far as I am concerned. Now those green garden backgrounds in the UK, quite possibly not an issue.

The company can be reached at [email protected]

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I think the day-glow paint is an interesting idea. I if begining shooters could see their shot better it would speed up the learning process quite a bit. You could probably do it with a syringe... just inject a bit of the paint right through the crimp into the shell and let it drip down to the bottom. Reclaimed would probably be best to use because it doesn't have graphite coating any more. Not sure if the paint would cause some shot to stick togther, making 8 into... 4? More likely the sudden acceleration would break any paint bonds, but safe tests are in order.

With practice, you can learn to see most shot clouds. When starting it is difficult, but with practice, you will improve. I shoot mostly 410, and don't have trouble seeing most of them.

bd

·
Registered
288 Posts
That's exactly what I intend to do. Wash the shot, place on paper spray with white primer, turn over spray then repeat with day-glo orange.

Watch this space.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Don't think I'd bother with the primer, and you might consider doing the painting in the hull...

Been watching this space for 3 hours now... How much longer should I watch? :lol:

bd

1 - 20 of 26 Posts