Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this and could really use some help. I got a 12 gauge Benelli Nova pump for Christmas and want to improve my shooting. Thanks - V

·
Registered
839 Posts
Well I shoot in large trap tournaments all over the northeast so I know alot about trap shooting, I have had some teaching in skeet but I dont shoot it that much. I do have a coach for my trap shooting though. The gun you have would be a recommended gun for trap but is good for just starting out with, i started with a mossburg 500. When you are shooting trap just remember you always need to keep your head down. If you lift your head your gun will come with it and you will shoot over your target most of the time. Always follor through, when you pull the trigger keep swinging, dont stop your swing or your shot pattern will end up a foot behind the bird. Try to use light loads, not the heavy loads from walmart if you plan on shooting alot or you will end up with a sore cheeck or shoulder. Lean into your shot, hold the gun tight, dont let it kick you. Hope this helps a little, this is mostly basic stuff....

-Rob

·
Registered
205 Posts
Go to a local range and shoot. Talk to other shoters and let them know your starting out and they will help you. Lessons would be a big +.

Have fun

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Big V said:
I'm new to this and could really use some help. I got a 12 gauge Benelli Nova pump for Christmas and want to improve my shooting. Thanks - V
Most importantly - HAVE FUN!!! Yes, everyone wants to do well, but that will come in time.

Someone mentioned light loads, and I'll second that. They'll break the targets just as well, and they're a lot easier on your shoulder and face.

I don't shoot enough skeet to offer any advice. In Trap, always try to get the target while it is rising. If it is going down, you've waited too long.

Since the target will be rising, with a field gun you will need to lead it a little high. True trap guns are designed to fire a little high.

Targets that are moving straight away from you can be a problem because if you fire when you can see them above your barrel, the target may rise out of the shot column. You need to at least cover them up, and ideally fire when the target is slightly BELOW your barrel. Shooting with both eyes open can make that easier.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Head on the stock, eye on the rock, and follow through. Don't even think about anything else but the next rock comming out of the house, FOCUS! If you can accomplish that, you will do well, very well indeed!

BP

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like everyone else said, keep your head down. Dont panic the bird looks to be scremin out of the house but it isnt. Head down follow through and she'll break. One other thing which is the hardest DONT move gun until eyes lock on BIRD. Master that and everything is easy Bryan

·
Registered
420 Posts
This is a short list:

Gun must shoot where you look - pattern it to make sure - modify it until it does

Target - Concentrate, See the target, focus, touch the target, and follow-through

Instructional video tapes help explain fundamentals

Find good trap, skeet, sporting clays clinics in your area and attend

·
Registered
797 Posts
mod12win,
I have to take a bit of exception to your advice about not moving your gun until your eyes lock on the bird.Your eyes are the rear sight so to speak.Your gun and head should move as one as you follow the bird.Thats the reason for keeping your head down on the stock.If your eye moves to lock onto the bird before the gun moves,then you have to bring your gun back into alignment with your eyes once they've locked onto the bird.If,however,you pick up the bird in your peripheral vision,your eyes and barrel immediately move to it as a unit.When you're eyes are on the target,then your gun is also on it.
Dave

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just keep in mind, there is a foot and a half of that birds flight path when it comes out of the house that is just a blur to us. If you just sit back and watch while others are shooting and concentrate on that you will be able to see that it is just a blur when it comes out...this is why some people suggest holding your gun a foot and a half above the house and then shoot. I geuss it is a debated thing, some people hold above and some people hold right on the house...I hold high then when Im on station one and five I hold 3 feet out and 3 feet up which helps me catch those quick right or left birds.

-Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
vetteman-no problem every one is different. You can move your eyes to the bird without moving head off gun. you must seee the bird and read the flight. then go after the bird. this is a very quick action. it is hard for me to explain on a comp. but i belive it too be true.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
A man of few words, All American Bill Stuvey says, "put a lot of shot down the barrel". That is of course, after gun fit and basic shooting form is established.

Maltzie

·
Registered
839 Posts
I think Kay Ohye's book is supposed to be good, You and the Target. I will never buy anything from him again...I bought the book over the internet from his website, never recieved it and I dont like Kay Ohye one bit. He is at all the shoots Im at and hes a stuck up rich old fool.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
TrapDt10,

That's odd. I've known Kay since 1968. He's not stuck up and he's not rich. Sounds like a little shooter's envy going on. Tough to be one of the all time best and not take shots from those who will never be in a shootoff with you.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Since when is Kay not rich, you tell me that?? He never ever comes out of his trailer and talks with people, he goes straight from his trailer to the line back to trailer. I know he is an excellent shooter, he just doesnt have good personality...usually 15 year olds dont shoot off with a guy like that...my coach has shot off with him but thats different.

Maybe you have to part of his little club for him to be nice to you, who knows.

When you drive a half a million dollor motor home around and so doesnt your daughter, your rich.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Big V Welcome to the trap forum-- don't pay too much attention to the non relevent posts, that happens at times. Most of the advise posted on your request is worth considering. I will only add , if you havn't joined a shooting club, do so. Most of the shooters are willing and capable of helping you get off to a good start. Like others have said, practice and learn, and by all means enjoy your new Benelli Pump--have fun.

Now--- Trap Dt10 Your entitled to your opinion on Kay but I don't think this is place to air your laundry. If you have a gripe with Kay take it to him direct. He is able and willing to represent himself.

As Bridgeburner said, I also have had the pleasure of knowing Kay Ohye, although its been over 10 years since I have seen him, in the 70s and 80s and to the mid 90s I shot many events with him (never beat him) and have bought considerable murchandise from him and found him to be a gentleman and anything but "STUCK UP", and certainly not an "OLD FOOL".

He wasn't rich when I knew him but if he is now I,m sure he earned it.

RossT

·
Registered
839 Posts
I am sorry for my out of place comments. I know he is one of the best in todays trapshooting world and has built a great business and life for him and his daughter. You two are the only people that I have ever heard good things said of him and I have never seen him act like any other sportsmans like trapshooter.

-Ill keep this stuff to myself
--Rob

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
A see Kay Ohye about 4 or 5 times a year at big shoots. He is either the most arrogant shooter alive or the most introverted. You can walk right past the man and say hello and amazingly he won't acknowledge your existance. You can stand it the pay line and try to start a conversation with the man and he looks at you like you are invading his space. Kay compared to most other of the All Americans, is not friendly and doesn't give a crap about you unless your are purchasing something from him. No one will ever say he is a good embassador of the sport. Kay is at the top of his game, in the top 5 trapshooters in the nation every year, and we make his success. We pay for the All Americans trap income though target fees, options and directly from shooting clinics, tapes, DVD's. I am a business owner and realize how a client should be treated. Kay has not learned from a business perspective, "public relations" as of yet. Personally, I have a lot of respect for Kay Ohye, for his accomplishments, but not for his arrogant personality. He could be an embassador for the sport, typical most of the other All Americans.

Maltzie

·
Registered
839 Posts
Im glad someone sees Kay as I do. I met Harlan Cambell, I think thats how its spelled, sorry if its not. I met him at the Northeastern in september and he had no clue who I was or anything but he shook my hand talked to me and my good friend, we are both 15 and I think he is 14. He acted very professional and didnt just shun us away. Harlan was always out talking to all of the other shooters, he would eat breakfast in the cafeteria and just acted like a normal person...thats how it should be.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Big V my apologies for contributing to the deviation of your thread from your request for information to this obvious personal opinion pole on Kay Ohye.

Maltzie, I respect your shooting talents and forum comments,, especially here on the trap forum, and of course, your opinions on Kay. As stated previously its been quite some time since I have been active in competative trap, a good 10 years or more.

I never saw the side of Kay you and TrapDt10 describe. Sad to hear it. The man I knew casually for quite a few years was just the oposite. I've watched him spend considerable time with students on their problems without pay and early on in my "amateur" trap career when I had taken his courses on basics and doubles. I was never slighted or denied a response to a question long after the courses ended. My purchases from him were always exactly as agreed to and delivery was on time. Response in person, by mail and on the fone was prompt and professional.

He explained his method of handling competitive concentration by not allowing anything or anybody to interfere with his concentration during an event. I have observed him doing exactly that on the field but never felt it to be a negative. Before and after an event he was sociable and friendly.

I was also self employed for many years and fully understand PR and consumer satisfaction. His skill as a trap shooter can't be denied, I'ts sad iindeed if he has not or can not represent the sport to the level he can compete in it.

RossT

1 - 20 of 30 Posts