Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here shoot a right handed Auto, left handed? Will the shell ejecting in front of my face cause problems? I assume my eyes are closed anyway.. I am stuck with a right handed 391 but "planned" to shoot it lefty.. I guess they do not make a lefty model..

A

·
Registered
59 Posts
As a left hander, I shoot righty almost everything (except bolt action guns, but that bolt thing is just too weird to do backwards).

You won't have much problem with the ejection on a semi auto. It really doesn't cross your face or line of vision like you think it would. The ejection port is to the side and below your face. (For those about to buy, definitely try this first on a loaner gun before you decide if you can deal with it or not). And if you are wearing eye protection like you should (!) it's not a safety issue either.

My biggest problem is not a righty semi auto, it's those people who don't put shell catchers on theirs on the target range! I've been hit in the face more times than I can count by flying shells from my neighbor, but never had problems with shells from my own gun.

Now, if you really want an adventure, try shooting a right handed flintlock as a lefty. Blackpowder smoke is definitely an acquired taste.... LOL

·
Registered
261 Posts
:shock: If you are shooting a semi rifle, you might get some hot brass down your collar. I have a muzzleloader but I got lucky and found a left handed one. My other ML is an inline. I have never fired a semi shotgun. I like my pump and SXS and I hunt sometimes with a single.

·
Registered
584 Posts
aahagel said:
Does anyone here shoot a right handed Auto, left handed? Will the shell ejecting in front of my face cause problems? I assume my eyes are closed anyway.. I am stuck with a right handed 391 but "planned" to shoot it lefty.. I guess they do not make a lefty model..

A
I have.
I'm naturally left handed and my Dad (a righty) had an 1148 and an 1100, both setup for RH.
I don't remember the shell (or the smoke) being much of a problem, but I have been bapped in the nose a couple of times by ejecting shells.
Just depends on how it wants to come out of the chamber.
Same with a pump.
The ol' man also had this monstrosity that weighed a ton called a JC Higgins Model 20 and same experience applies.
Most of the time, the shell was no problem, however I have been bopped a time or two by the ejcting shell from that gun, too.

Fortunately, I can also shoot right handed (as well as I can shoot left handed) so I just shoot those guns righty and I don't have to worry about it anymore.

...this is probably why I gravitate to doubles and singles, too. ;)

Dean

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yes, have shot several over the years. The shell ejection has never been an issue. The ability to adjust the stock relative to the cast is the key item in shooting a "right hand gun". I currently hunt with a 20 gauge Barretta 391. I'm really an O/U guy but keep picking the 391 out of the gun cabinet because it shoots so well for me.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Both my son and I are left handed and have shot many different semi-autos without much problem. Right now my son shoots a Browning Gold Sporting Clays, it does have a shell catcher on it for singles trap but he also uses it for doubles. ( I always shoot to his right so we don't bother other shooters)
I've also shot this gun along with my wifes RH 11-87, no problem with either.
In the Marines I'd shoot my M14 LH and now shoot a M1 Garand LH, again never a problem with emties, smoke or anything else noted above.
My regular trap guns are O/U that are made for lefties, but I'd never hesitate shooting an RH auto.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
aahagel

Sometimes when hunting I've done it from the left side of cover; the ejecting shell isn't a problem, but the recoil from what is now an ill fitting gun can be. 52 grams of Tungsten ... ouch.

Your advantage with the 391 is that you can shim it up for southpaw operations and give it a go on the range.
Nothing to pay for and some experience gained.
Eug

·
Registered
137 Posts
rajaniblue said:
My biggest problem is not a righty semi auto, it's those people who don't put shell catchers on theirs on the target range! I've been hit in the face more times than I can count by flying shells from my neighbor, but never had problems with shells from my own gun.
Sounds like a range problem and not a shooters problem.

·
Registered
20,821 Posts
You silly boy! :lol: :lol:

Even so, this thread isn't a big deal. The issue is still relevant. It's those old threads where someone is looking for a gun or needs advice specific to the OP that are annoying when you bring it out of the weeds.

·
Registered
779 Posts
My older brother and my youngest son both shoot left handed and use a right handed semi-auto. The first time Isaiah(son) shot his auto he said that some junck got in his eye. But after the first shot he was fine and never complained about it again. My brother just got his first auto and has not said anything about it. I guess he is used to haveing the shells fly in front of his face he has used a pump for years.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have shot Browning A5's in 12, 16 and 20 gauge for almost 40 years and I have never had any problem with the ejected shell or anything else for that matter. No powder burns, raccoon eyes or empties hitting me in the nose.

It would seem to me that if you see the shell then you are looking in the wrong place. If you are looking at your target you shouldn't see the empty. As far as hitting someone next to me, I have never been hit nor have I hit anyone else. Sure, it can happen but how much I don't know.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Art,

Re: Getting hit with empties

Go to Youtube and look up a poster named "inlok".
One of the shooting videos she posted was of her shooting an AR-15. Listen closely and you can hear a little kid in the spot next to her, yelling and telling her to stop shooting because the hot empties are smacking him in the head (its actually kinda funny, and proves the point that it does happen sometimes).

Dean

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes, I shoot my A5 left handed-- mostly clays. There is
really no issue as the shells eject falling approx 5 feet infront
of you, and yes, to the right. If I set up my solo clays thrower
flush with the line of fire having to wait for the range to go
cold to retreive them. I was abit worried about the issue
of a lefty shooting a right handed eject gun at first. No issue
with the A5.

First post. Love this forum

David

A5,BPS,BSS, Citori 12g

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.