Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the deer I have taken from treestands were with high powered rifles or bows with pendalum sights.

All deer that I have taken with a slug gun have all been within 50 yards. But thinking more about this, should I be holding lower or higher when shooting from a tree stand lets say 20' from the ground?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Shooting uphill or downhill at severe angles you should aim lower. A squared + B squared = C squared

At bow and slug distances the difference is minimul but when you are Elk or Sheep hunting and your shots are 300 yards up a 30% grade it makes a big difference.

Here is a great article that the pic came from:
http://www.wildsheep.org/magazines/arti ... ooting.htm

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Flatshooter said:
should I be holding lower or higher when shooting from a tree stand lets say 20' from the ground?
Absolutely not....

At shotgun ranges the differences between line of sight and horizontal distance would make no meaningful difference in the trajectory of a slug when discussing deer sized game.

JC

·
Registered
307 Posts
I do not think I am hijacking this thread, I do not intend to and the issue is the same I believe. I have a stand that is 34 feet high on a hill, the hill is about 60 feet above where I have shot deer. The total elevation above the deer is 90 to 100 feet or so in about 125 yards. The horizontal distance is of course somewhat less. My concerns are not that but the steep angle. I tend to shoot a bit higher as the slug is penetrating steeply through the deer. My thoughts are if I shot low at the heart I might not get vital organs, by shooting higher in my mind I would hit more vital locations.
Whether that is correct or not I have lost no deer and none has traveled over 35 yards or so. High shoulder shots have anchored them in place.
I may well be wrong in my thinking and will not feel hurt if someone shows me otherwise.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
jims said:
I tend to shoot a bit higher as the slug is penetrating steeply through the deer.
Jim,

This seems to me to be a related but different question. I understood the first post to be one of trajectory. However, it seems yours is one of angle of penetration....

In your situation I would agree a higher hold than normal would be require assuming the horizontal distance was 125yds and you were holding for a 125 yd shot. However, If you are saying you are on a steep hill and the line of site is 125yds then the horizontal distance to the target would be less. In that instance, which I think most folks would agree is a long shot, then the degree of inclination would begin to affect your shot placement as well. (You would not need to high to make up for the angle of penetration because you POI would already be hitting high if you were holding for a line of sight 125yds when in reality the deer would be many yards closer.)

Hopefully I explained that in a manner that makes some sense...

JC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A huge thank you to all who responded!!

I was thinking about the POI and which organs would be hit while I was sitting in my treestand on Friday for Delawares opening shotgun season. Interesting and very important item to consider.

Thanks again for the information, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
logankelly said:
The best thing is find time and shoot at a cardboard the size of deer. In my experience fifty yards you're only talking a few inches in difference from shooting up hill and down hill.
The trajectory difference between shooting up and down hill at a target 50yds away vs a target on flat ground should result in no more than .5" change in the POI on a piece of cardboard. If the results you are experiencing are much greater than that it is highly likely the hill is affecting the way the way you are aiming and causing your eye alignment with your scope to substantially change.

JC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.