Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a novice shooter and I'm looking for some opinions on the old Beretta 686 Essential O/U.

Would this gun be well suited for skeet shooting? It doesn't have to be the "ideal" skeet gun, but just wondering if it makes an acceptable skeet gun.

Like I said, I'm a novice just starting to learn the game...

thanks!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sander,

Sure the 686 Essential would do fine at skeet. True skeet guns normally have shorter barrels and of course skeet chokes. But the 686 has screw in chokes and you can pick the barrel length. You may get bit by the bug to shoot other gaames as well (trap, 5 stand , sporting clays) all of which benefit from longer barrels. I would recommend anyone looking at the 30 inch barrel length in any OU. It will force you to have to swing a little harder at skeet but if you shoot clays, 5 stand or trap the longer barrels will make life much better.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hello Sander,
Several of the guys in my shooting club are shooting 686Es and they use them for skeet, trap, 5-stand and sporting clays. Each of the ones that I have spent any time talking to at the range has been very enthusiastic about their gun. The screw in chokes let them change the setup to the game that they are shooting at the time. I shot my friends for a round of skeet and broke 23 first time shooting the gun. This is as good as I normally do with my auto-loader so I think it was pretty good. If the gun fits you, go for it, because you can use the same gun for all of the games.--------AFG

G

·
G'day guys sorry to bump this old topic but i have an 686 essential and i love it. I must add that im a 12 year old Junior shooter and live in Australia. I shoot from 20-24 in the skeet ground and am working on my sporting and currently shooting 14-18 in that area. I bought mine from a gunsmith who lives near by about 2 years ago now. I paid $1200 for it with 5 chokes and it is in very good condition. I love my beretta and for a novice shooter it did me the best job any other good could have.
Thanks guys
By the way this is my first time to this site and i like it, i like it a lot.

·
Registered
512 Posts
First and foremost let me say "Its the shooter behind the gun"
I own a 686E 12/28" as stated earlier it is at home on skeet/trap/and clays fields alike - when properly choked. Some trade offs at times yes, but if it is comfortable "Shoot IT". The 686e to my way of thinking is the step off point to shotgun insanity. It is Berettas first Competition Grade Offering in thier line up. The prices go up as the checkbook goes down from there. Many may disagree but we all reach a point where anything else is just frills and window dressing. The 686E is at its heart a quality piece and worth the investment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts