Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marty is one tough customer. Literally 15 minutes before Marty pointed these 2 roosters, I was pulling porcupine quills out of his muzzle and mouth. At the time of the picture he still had a 1/2 dozen quills in his mouth that our Vet had to remove.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's a nice looking dog. I hope he enjoyed a treat afterwards.

Better than people! I had a dog, Trigger, get sprayed point blank by a skunk. His eyes were tearing profusely and he kept stopping to rub his head on the ground. He still flushed a rooster after that! Unbelievable he could smell anything besides skunk oil!
I had a dog get sprayed once and no amount of oatmeal, tomato, or other remedies worked. Smelled for over a week. Can't imagine having a stronger nose.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Better than people! I had a dog, Trigger, get sprayed point blank by a skunk. His eyes were tearing profusely and he kept stopping to rub his head on the ground. He still flushed a rooster after that! Unbelievable he could smell anything besides skunk oil!
My old lab x springer cross got skunked. Walking him back to the truck to leave, he kept going in the cattails flushing birds. He did not want to leave.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
For whatever reason, being stuck by a quill pig does not deter most dogs from hunting, even if still sporting the quills. It doesn't deter most of them from taking another shot at a porcupine at some point. The Continental breeds will typically kill a porky before stopping and that can get expensive.

Same for skunks, I haven't had a dog stop hunting or stop bothering skunks after being sprayed. My first setter still holds the record of being sprayed 23 times in its 12 year life. The dang dog didn't kill them, it just liked to run up and sniff them. My Pointer and some of the German dogs learned to kill skunks without getting sprayed or they might have surpassed that setter in getting sprayed.

To reduce the odor of a dog that has been sprayed there are a couple steps.
First, do not let the dog get wet. The dog's fur will draw in some water which will carry some of the oil.
Second, wipe off as much of the oil with a dry towel, grass, napkins, or whatever. Getting off as much as possible makes neutralizing it a little easier.
Third, add neutralizer. Tomatoe juice and that garbage are old wive's tales told by those who have not dealt with a skunk. These products are more likely to give the dog a rash than remove the smell.

There are two things that will work though not completely.

The first is woman's douche. It is premade, hypo-allergenic, and effective. It won't totally remove the smell (talking about the dog now) but will make being around the dog tolerable. I'll soak the dog down good and rub it in a couple of times, let dry, then repeat. As said, the odor will be tolerable but will worsen if the dog gets wet.

The other is a home made concoction made of 1 pint hydrogen peroxide, a cup of baking soda, and a dash of liquid dish soap. Do not premix, it will bubble and burst any container it is put in. Do as with the douche.

With both I'll further wash the dog with the most fragrant shampoo I can find. It won't do much to remove the smell but it might cover the odor a little.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanking you for sharing. Yes they are; Grand.
Long story short. I babysit two grand Black
Labs once in a while. I’m old and never really
been around dogs. One is five y.o. and the other
is three y.o. I have grown up with both since
pups.

They are hunting Labs. These two are the
nicest dogs. They are clam, loving, nice
to each other, and they even listen to me.

I even got to go hunting with them and
they are just amazing.

This is how I learned Dogs are GRAND.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
That's a nice looking dog. I hope he enjoyed a treat afterwards.

I had a dog get sprayed once and no amount of oatmeal, tomato, or other remedies worked. Smelled for over a week. Can't imagine having a stronger nose.
There's only one thing that works--and it works amazingly well (I tried tomoato juice, natre's miracle de-skunker along with several barnds). I got the recipe from a racoon hunter:

Baking soda
Hydrogen Peroxide
Dawn dish soap

One quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, 1 teaspoon liquid dish soap
. Mix ingredients as needed – not in advance – when a skunk renders your dog unfit for human cohabitation. Apply to the dog liberally, using a washcloth around the face to keep the solution out of its eyes.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I always carry the ingredients for de-skunker when I travel out of state to hunt. If I need it, I mix it in a gallon milk jug and punch holes in the lid with my pocket knife. It will knock 90% or more of the stink off immediately.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Marty is one tough customer. Literally 15 minutes before Marty pointed these 2 roosters, I was pulling porcupine quills out of his muzzle and mouth. At the time of the picture he still had a 1/2 dozen quills in his mouth that our Vet had to remove.

I really like the way your pooch is definitely looking right at you and with that "What's next" look. I'll add if wasn't for my dogs I'd probably quit hunting.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well my 8 mo. old yellow lab pup Tucker made his first trip to SoDak a week ago--or as some would say DisneyWorld for dogs. Unfortunately, my 8 yr old lab Brady forgot his barbed wire lessons. Though not severe, I retired him for the trip and had stitches at the vet the first day. That left Tucker to hunt with our group of six, along with the guide's two young GSPs. Tucker retrieved over 30 birds, most no worse for the wear. He is a pup after all. I do have to work on the "No Bird" drill some more. Hunting in eastern CO, he won't probably won't get to retrieve 30 birds the rest of his life, aside from while training or at bird farms.
Tom

1 - 20 of 29 Posts