Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Premium Member
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Nice job Justin. Yeah the snow drifted a lot after those days when we had a lot of wind. My dogs saved me too. I dropped those two birds in a slough and I would never have found them without Marty. Seems like every bird I have killed since it snowed has ended up in a slough.....dogs to the rescue.

Jealous that you are using an A5 Sweet. I had a Sweet but it needed a lot of cast for me to shoot well, I gave it to my son, it fits him.

· Registered
2,347 Posts
Soyknee,

Sounds like you switched jackets and now you're gun mount is completely different causing you to miss the pheasants you normally hit. Better take a good look at what you have changed.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

· Registered
302 Posts
Looks like a fun outing Randy.

I received my Fabarm Grey Hunter a few days ago, but haven’t had the opportunity to try it out yet. Will be going to Kansas in a couple of weeks and hopefully have a great hunt.

· Registered
29,347 Posts
Looks like a fun outing Randy.

I received my Fabarm Grey Hunter a few days ago, but haven’t had the opportunity to try it out yet. Will be going to Kansas in a couple of weeks and hopefully have a great hunt.
You'll have fun. One of the best things you can do is give it a light film of G96 on the action rails and bolt, and of course shoot it a bit before the hunt.

· Registered
2,347 Posts
Gentlemen,
Dogs are grand no doubt about it, in my case our family had great Ryman English & Gordon Setters before I was born. I learned to Grouse hunt behind the Ryman English Setter dogs, and have had a life long admiration for their abilities in the Grouse woods. We also have had some incredible German Small Munsterlander, Weimar and Shorthair Versatile gun dogs, that have provided incredible hunting for our family thru the years. My brother has returned to the German Shorthair because he likes hunting with that particular dog breed, I still own Ryman English & Gordon Setters even today. Each gun dog has it own abilities and hunting style, I have trained many companion Grouse hunting dogs during my life time, I have loved them all. George Ryman bred his English and Gordon Setter for the specific purpose of actually hunting Grouse, IMO they are still the top Grouse and Woodcock hunting dogs. For the 1st time in over 70 years I lost a very beautiful female Ryman/Old Hemlock pup, not quite a year and a half old to Cancer, it broke my heart watching her pass over to the other side. I love these dogs like they are my own children, for some reason loosing Maggie Mae at such a young age, effected me to the point where I never want to see another one of these Great dogs suffer again. The bond between Maggie and me was great because she was my constant companion as I healed from my open heart surgery. Having lost many dogs thru the years to old age, I had no idea how one particular young dog could effect me. God gave me an incredible gift for a short time, to help me heal. I will never forget her, at a year and a half she acted and preformed like a 5 year old fully trained Grouse dog, had one afternoon that she pointed over 20 Grouse and 10 Woodcock in her Potter County mountains. God let me see how she would preform for him, in the never ending forest, then he took her home.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Gods incredible gift to me, Maggie Mae asleep at my feet forever, under my big roll top desk.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts