Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at a shop today and spotted this for $650.

Looked to be an aluminum/ light weight receiver with metal parts inside with a full choke barrel.(blued in color)

Should I do some research and get it or is it too much $ .

I know you cannot determine a price without looking at it, but it is in real good shape from the 10 minutes I examined it.

I have the old Browning bug, and this caught my eye.(something that I do not own)dont tell the wife... :lol:

·
Registered
28,161 Posts
CPXSSKEET said:
I know you cannot determine a price without looking at it, but it is in real good shape from the 10 minutes I examined it.
Well, you answered your own question there. I had one; it is a lighter version of the Twelvette.

Vent rib / modified is "preferred" over plain barrel / tighter chokes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Please clarify the comment "blued in color" I'm unclear of your reference.

The import thing with a twentyweight is the barrel length, they only came in one size 26.5 inches.

When I think of a twentyweight. I think lighter loads and open chokes. I don't know that I've ever seen a twentyweight that was full choke but that doesn't mean they didn't make them.

Personally, I don't know what I'd do with that gun in a full choke so, $650 would seem high to me. But full choke might be a rarer combination if it is a correct barrel so... that might be cheap to a collector.

Lets hope some others chime in and educate the both of us.

Be sure to check for cracks both receiver and stock.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
$650 would not be out of line if the gun has a vent rib and grades over 95%. The full choke was rather unusual for a Twentyweight but not unheard of. I have one that is part of a factory three barreled set ( slug, improved cylinder and full).

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went back to look at her on my lunch break.

Double Automatic Twentyweight
12ga 2 and 3/4" vent rib(mid bead was off to the right)
full choke barrel stamp(but could drop a dime through it)
Serial # A34 over 400
I was wrong, the price is $699.
Aluminum black receiver and engraving is silver/ aluminum in color.

Any clue to what year, and since it is bored to probably cylinder, what do you think(can get an improved cylinder barrel from Corsons)

Looks mechanically sound from manual manipulation ?(of the bolt and carrier).

Browning does not have an owners manual on-line that I could find.

Wood is very good, and some scratches on the receiver, but not bad.

Should I pass it up or knock the price down ?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Art's Gun Shop in Missouri has 4 of them for sale. One is a twentyweight for $485 listed in excellent condition. 3 are twelvettes, one in blk, one in brown, and one in silver for 1600 for the trio. If the one you are looking at is near mint, $650 would be top dollar, however keep in mind that these guns are going up in price, so it could be a good investment, but at that price it will be a few years before you could make any money on it. If you just want it and don't really care about making a profit down the road.......get it and enjoy it, they make great sporting clays guns, although the full choke would be a detriment for clays other than trap. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.