Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Someone had one of these out at the gunclub last night,loaded by dropping a shell throught the loading port on the left side of the receiver I think,letting the bolt slam home,then sticking a second shell through the same port.Worked fine apart from one stovepipe type jam out of about 50 shots or so.Would make a nice hunting gun,which is I suppose what they were designed for.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I think they were designed to be skeet guns, but I could be wrong.

It's about the only Browning gun I wouldn't own. Shot one for a couple of days and it beat the hell out of me on top of being a pain in the *** to load. I'm terminally right handed and that loading from the left side of the receiver thing had me all gacked up in the dove fields.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I am pretty sure they were made to sell in countries (eg UK and probably other countries in Western Europe) where it was considered 'un-sporting' to have a field gun,that held more than 2 cartridges.I have seen a reasonable number in NZ,for many years it was illegal to use a auto or pump for gamebird hunting,that held more than one round in the magazine,because of this same attitude.

·
Registered
127 Posts
20 Ga. Double-automatic would be quite a find and, so would a unicorn.

Never made them.

DoubleAuto = Steel Frame
Twelvette, Twentyweight = Alloy Frame

They made a "twentyweight" that was 3/4 of a pound lighter than the Twelvette. One barrel length 26.5 inches.

Browning Double Automatic, Twelvette, Twentyweight
"This model was manufactured between 1952 and 1971 in Belgium by Fabrique Nationale. There were three variations in 12 gauge only: Standard, Twelvette and Twentyweight. The alloy frame was available in different colors including royal or light blue, satin gray, green, gold, black and brown. Standard barrel lengths were 26, 26 1/2 (Twentyweight only), 28 or 30 inches with or without a vent rib."

·
Registered
568 Posts
The one being fired at the range,had a blued steel receiver.saw one in a local gunshop a few weeks ago,that had a silver coloured (satin?) alloy receiver,with a bit on engraving on it.I have seen a good number for sale recently,probably because non toxic ( mainly steel,down here) shot has become mandatory for waterfowl hunting from last year,and many shooters have upgraded to more modern guns that are designed to handle steel shot.If its a 20 gauge Browning you are looking for,I am pretty sure I saw a Japanese made 20 ga A-5 a while back,that looked a pretty nicely made gun,better quality than some of the more recent designs I have seen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.