Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a soft padded take down case with separate compartments for dbl gun with 26" barrels. Nothing fancy just well padded and under $60 Better/safer storage and less chance of banging into things is what i want. thanks. Searching but not finding one close.

·
Registered
24,821 Posts
Boyt/Cabelas has one that is excellent; not sure of the pricing today, but top quality product

·
Registered
24,821 Posts
Just checking; seems Boyt want $150 and not seeing their version they made for Cabelas, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, Boyt/Cabelas looks good but ouch. Was looking at the skb and might get one, if i can leave the forearm on barrel. I might have to modify brl compartment. . Saw a couple Beretta soft case's that looked perfect but are discontinued or out of stock. price wasn't too bad but might have been outdated. Boyt has this and seems to have separate pockets..https://www.boytharness.com/product/tactical-shotgun-case/

·
Registered
24,821 Posts
thanks, Boyt/Cabelas looks good but ouch. Was looking at the skb and might get one, if i can leave the forearm on barrel. I might have to modify brl compartment. . Saw a couple Beretta soft case's that looked perfect but are discontinued or out of stock. price wasn't too bad but might have been outdated. Boyt has this and seems to have separate pockets..https://www.boytharness.com/product/tactical-shotgun-case/
I have the Cabelas version of the Boyt - there is a separate compartment for the barrels with forearm attached and the stock/receiver. It is a long cas and would even handle 32' barrels easily enough

Reactions: Backwater52

·
Registered
415 Posts

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Just checking; seems Boyt want $150 and not seeing their version they made for Cabelas, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Optics Planet has them for less, but still quite a bit higher than I remember paying. Either way, I don't think you'll regret buying one. It's one of those things that once you have it, you forget what you paid. I think it's worth getting a properly sized Boyt. I have one of the freakishly long Cabela's copies and don't like it nearly as much. The correct sized Boyt for your gun is perfect!

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Not a soft case, but for the money I think it would be hard to beat. I shoot 5-stand with a guy that has one...again for the money really nice case.

Amazon.com: SKB Cases 2SKB-SC3409 Canvas Exterior and EPS Interior Hybrid Breakdown Rugged Shotgun Travel Case for 33.75 inch Barrels, Black : Musical Instruments

I had one of those. It's big and boxy and the zipper seemed inconvenient to me. I recently got rid of a bunch of excess cases and that was one I moved along.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Misread your post and though you were looking for a 2 barrel case.

The Midway USA soft breakdown cases are fantastic and under $60. I have 2 of them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Optics Planet has them for less, but still quite a bit higher than I remember paying. Either way, I don't think you'll regret buying one. It's one of those things that once you have it, you forget what you paid. I think it's worth getting a properly sized Boyt. I have one of the freakishly long Cabela's copies and don't like it nearly as much. The correct sized Boyt for your gun is perfect!

cheaper than dirt has them for $65.00 if you want to buy from them Boyt Harness Company Takedown Canvas Case With Pocket | Cheaper Than Dirt

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had one of those. It's big and boxy and the zipper seemed inconvenient to me. I recently got rid of a bunch of excess cases and that was one I moved along.
Were those the main reasons you got rid of it? I've been looking at one and while it's cheap enough I would rather "buy once, cry once" if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Were those the main reasons you got rid of it? I've been looking at one and while it's cheap enough I would rather "buy once, cry once" if you know what I mean.
Basically, I had a bunch of other cases I liked better. I rarely (as in never) chose the SKB Hybrid over my other options so it didn't make the cut.

For a hard case, I much prefer the Browning suitcase style case. But I'm generally a soft case guy, preferably Boyt. About the only time I use a hard case is if I'm traveling and have a bunch of other stuff loaded in the car. The SKB Hybrid takes up too much room. Also, it doesn't work for a side-by-side (as the barrel slot won't accommodate the locking lug) so it's not nearly as versatile as a Browning suitcase.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Gentlemen,

I have numerous soft cases for when we travel to bird hunt, the Boyt double gun soft case I purchased about 8 years ago holds 2 complete SXS double guns, the breech work of both guns slides into an internal chambers of the soft case and the barrels have their own slide in compartments on the back of the soft case. I removed some of the stitching and expanded the barrel slots for my two barrel set 16 gauge SXS double guns, it does work nicely. Have used this sturdy soft case for years now especially nice when we are just traveling in our SUV's on over night destinations here in the north east. Boyt did a real nice job on these older soft gun cases, nice thick material that does not scratch my Classic guns. Real nice to have 2 of these type of Boyt soft cases, you can get 4 double guns broken down in them if you are a traveling wing shooter. I also have the longer type soft cases that I have acquired down thru the years for each of our guns. We use these type soft cases, in our hunting vehicles when we Grouse hunt most all the time. In addition we have a few leather hard cases that we used for demo purposes at the RGS Grouse Camp teaching school, when we 1st developed the lectures at Penn State University. I do have many different manufacturers soft cases made by many different companies, some of the higher quality soft cases, are no longer being made unfortunately. Choose wisely when purchasing.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

1 - 19 of 19 Posts