Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
I lost them all in a boating accident.
17,987 Posts
after the second or third shot, it's second nature (for me, anyway).

·
Registered
536 Posts
I shoot pumps, autos, and side by sides with double triggers and never had a problem with it. It'll be second nature after a bit.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
I agree with Marist. I don't *like* double triggers (mostly because the ring finger on my right hand always seems to get beat up by them), but they are pretty quick to adapt to.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You would have no problem with a double trigger shotgun and would soon realize the many advantages it has over a single trigger gun. At best, the single trigger for doubles is a complicated solution to a problem which never existed. At worst it is what I have heard referred to in German as a "Schlimmerverbesserung" (spelling may be off); translated as: an improvement which makes things worse.

·
Registered
I lost them all in a boating accident.
17,987 Posts
drsfmd said:
I agree with Marist. I don't *like* double triggers (mostly because the ring finger on my right hand always seems to get beat up by them), but they are pretty quick to adapt to.
Oh, but I *LIKE* double triggers (on SxS's anyway). Nothing better than a 20Ga SxS with DT's and a straight grip. Except maybe a 28Ga SxS with DT's.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Slightly off topic, but not much . . . .

Does the pistol grip get in the way or hinder you in any way on double triggers? In other words would you stay away from a SxS just because it had a pistol grip as opposed to a straight one?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I wouldn't Captn. I like the way straight grips look, but I like the way pistol grips feel. There's been much written about this subject over the years, but I think in the end it's just personal preference. I'd shoot any double, straight or pistol grip--and I'd buy it (if I could afford it, lol).

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Captn66 said:

Does the pistol grip get in the way or hinder you in any way on double triggers? In other words would you stay away from a SxS just because it had a pistol grip as opposed to a straight one?
Not off topic. The answer is it depends if you move your hand to get to the back trigger or just move your finger. There is some debate which one is correct. The 'move hand' movement preaches double triggers and straight grip, or single trigger and pistol grip. The other movement, "finger only", says it doesn't matter. Both movements agree that if your middle finger is taking a pounding when shooting the front trigger then something is wrong: gun or shooter.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Captn66 said:

Pistol grips combined with double triggers are OK; they don't seem to get in the way of switching from one trigger to the other. This seems to be done only with the trigger finger and not sliding the whole hand around on the grip. For me the straight grip feels and points better on a SXS than a full pistol grip does but I don't think it affects the trigger pulling much if any. If a shooter had a SXS with a pistol grip and it did not feel right, the grip could usually be cut off, sanded down, and re-checkered (did this by myself on my first shotgun).

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Double triggers, in my mind, are prefered for the field for quick selection on tighter choke for a far flushing bird.

English stock Double triggers is a wonderful combination and probably more common.

Although, I really like a pistol-grip and double triggers very much as well.
I find the pistol grip allows me to control recoil and have a greater sense of over-all control over the gun.

My hand does not "slip back" for the second trigger, only my finger.

It took me one round of Sporting Clays to get used to the double triggers.
I now switch back and forth to single and double trigger guns with no thought.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
For the last month or so I have been "transitioning" to a double trigger, pistol grip SXS. It didn't take long to get used to the second trigger. By my second round of skeet it was an unconscious move. I DO, however, have to move my hand. The pistol grip keeps my hand too far forward to get at the second trigger without shifting. That was the most awkward part to get accustomed to. But I have become accustomed to it. That, too, is done automatically now. Bottom line is: double triggers are easy to get used to and given a choice I would take a straight grip over a pistol grip on a double trigger gun. But a pistol grip on a double trigger gun is not that bad.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I was surprised at how quickly I adapted to them. I was worried that I would be fumbling, or turning the gun side-ways to look, or feeling around to find the second trigger. No problems getting used to them...and liking them!

·
Registered
212 Posts
And don't forget most important feature (well, for me IMO): Instant choice of wich barrel fires first. That too, you can get accustomed pretty fast. I bought an O/U this year with double trigger but wasn't shure if I would get used to it, I found myself very rapidly been able to swich to top barrel for a far flushed bird.

Louis

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I have a 28 gauge side by side with double triggers and a straight grip.For many years it was my main upland shotgun.The only time I would say when I find single triggers to be easier to use is in the winter when I am hunting with heavy gloves or mittens.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I have a 28 gauge side by side with double triggers and a straight grip.For many years it was my main upland shotgun.The only time I would say when I find single triggers to be easier to use is in the winter when I am hunting with heavy gloves or mittens.

Sorry about the double post.Must have hit the submit button twice by mistake. :oops:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Thanks guys. I came across a lanber SxS (or something that was made by a predacessor to lanber) recently on gunsamerica that happens to be available locally . . . I was a bit hung up on pistol grip w/ double triggers, but as soon as I can arrange it - I'm going to go "just to look" at it :wink:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a 20 gauge English grip double trigger SxS and I love it. Shooting it is a different feel and process, just like any other gun, but it feels right on a Side-by.
As far as pistola grips go (beat ya, ya dirty pistolamundo link!), it depends. I personally don't like sharply-curved grips. My preference in all long guns is for a rounded, or Prince-of-Wales grip. From there, single or double triggers is a toss-up. My 28 gauge O/U has the PoW and one trigger, and I love it too. My L/H 12 gauge Fabarm auto is soon to go bye-bye because of the aforementioned tight grip. It's an excellent gun otherwise. It will be replaced by a Classic Lion SxS with shallower-radius grip, or an SKB 200E, 385 or some other single or double trigger 12 gauge SxS that I fall in love with.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I own a AyA 12ga SxS double trigger stright ENGLISH stock the front trigger is articulated which the ENGLISH say is suppose to prevent your finger being knocked. I have never had the problem. STEVEN DODD HUGHES in his book fine gunmaking (DOUBLE SHOTGUN) States that the triggers on a double triggered shotgun should be set at 4 lbs front trigger & 4 1/2 lbs rear trigger & should not be set any lighter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.