Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning opened great with 3 birds hitting on an owl call. We flushed a pair of hens toward where the boys were but hoped for the best. Heard them fly down and all three would respond to the box call, they started working towards us. The swamp was bigger than we remembered and the first thing I saw was a hen step into the road about 80yds away, she hot footed across the road, to be followed by three nice toms. Got to see fans and struts for several mintutes before they followed her into the woods and after just a few minutes came back into the road to strut some more, still too far away and not interested in coming towards us. The sky was wide open up bright and sunny up until about the time the birds first stepped onto the road, clouds were building then and the birds did not gobble again while it was cloudy.We left to get some breakfast and check another peice of property thinking that we might be able to come work those three after they hit the clear cuts and fields. After taking care of nature's biddness, them convience store greasy eggs and sausage just didnt get slowed down by the biscuits and cheese grits. Loading up we headed off down the road...not 100 yds from the truck and I hear a hen off to the left, close. Then an answering gobble up the hill and beyond where the hen yelps were coming from. As we were trying to decide what to do, I hear walking sounds on the opposite side of the road, not taking any chances we both drop, right in the middle of the road. My hunting partner sees not one but two turkeys and then we both see the beards. They are within 30yds just no clear shot, with us sitting in the middle of the road we know there is no hope for both of them stepping out, so since I'm in front of him he says take'm when you get a clear shot. Just before the bird steps out he goes full upright and does the one-eyed stare that every turkey hunter dreads-usually followed by a putt, as he turns to go back he offers a shot and BOOM! The gobbler that was above the hen goobles and the second one I can see is heading fast away, my bird is upside down flopping. As I head over to him I hit my box call and he gobbles again. Once more and he hits again, closing ground. I'm shocked, this other tom is still coming. My partner turns and faces back the way we came and up hill as I kneel on my bird facing away and softly yelp on the box call. Very shortly I hear spitting and drumming and then his saftey come off, followed by a second BOOM! We had 2 birds in less than 15-20 minutes of leaving the truck. Both nice, 18-20 lbs, 9" beards, and 7/8-1.25".I'm guessing that we walked right into a perfect setup. A bird above us was gobbling in response to the hen that I heard. The two other birds were slipping in silent to the same hen. I'll take luck any day!

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont think thats going to happen, although youse guys is alright, them birds are what are in season now. Those first gobbles at daybreak still give me goosebumps. Also one Saturday I had a great day even though I didnt take a bird, I had a tom within 15 feet of me, I could see him blink and he had no idea I was in the world....he was on my offside so I just enjoyed the show. I made the setup mistake so he won that one. The thrill of going one on one with them, to fool them into thinking that there is a hen just waiting for her sailor to come in, and to get one well within range is one heck of a rush.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a fine line between hobby and insanity.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No laughing birds here.......when you catch them like that the look of surprise on their face is more than priceless! There is a fine line between hobby and insanity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.