Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first O/U for shooting trap doubles next season, and I was interested in what folks use for loads and choke combinations (1st shot and 2nd shot). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Otto

·
Premium Member
20,014 Posts
1 ounce 8.5's with Lt Mod choke for first shot.

1 ounce 7.5's with Full choke for second shot.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I like a 7/8 oz #8's @1200 fps through a LM then a 1 oz #7 1/2 @ 1200 through a full or XF. Keep in mind I have not regestered any doubles.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Anything (lighter the better) for the first, 1 oz 7 1/2's for the second. When shooting a choke tube gun I use .001" (1st) and .025" (2nd) but those guns of mine using those tubes, shoots awfully tight. Normally use fixed I/M.

·
Premium Member
20,014 Posts
TexasTon said:
When shooting a choke tube gun I use .001" (1st) and .025" (2nd)
Hmmmm, where do you get those .001" chokes at? Is that a custom made choke? :wink: :wink: :D

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Ulysses said:
Hmmmm, where do you get those .001" chokes at? Is that a custom made choke? :wink: :wink: :D
Yep, Clearview Products, OKC. Larry Nailon

Measures exactly .734" in a .735" gun, but will smoke the first target in doubles, and I had it made to that constriction.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
1 oz of 8's altra light load through a modified choke first shot.

1 1/8 oz of 7.5's light load through a Im modified second shot.

Double smoke on doubles.

Maltzie

·
Premium Member
20,014 Posts
TexasTon said:
Ulysses said:
Yep, Clearview Products, OKC. Larry Nailon

Measures exactly .734" in a .735" gun, but will smoke the first target in doubles, and I had it made to that constriction.
That's a new one on me. Never heard of a .001" constriction choke before. How much tighter pattern does it throw than a .000" constriction? Is it any more open than a .005" constriction? Most choke tube companies will tell you that the tolerance on their chokes is .001", so many people may actually be shooting .001" constriction chokes that are marked as Cylinder. 8)

Hmmmm, "smoking" a 30-32 yard target with a .001" constriction choke? :shock: :shock: Just doesn't sound right to me, but if it works in your gun, that's all that matters. :wink: :D

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I shoot the same load both barrels, usually 1oz #8, but on occasion 1oz #7.5 Modified for first shot, Improved Mod for 2nd. (fixed chokes)

The idea of using two different loads for doubles intrigues me, but the squads I shoot with are usually so fast, that I would probably be throwing the timing of the squad off, fumbling around in different pockets, for the shells. :oops:

I imagine that it becomes second nature for those that do it. How do you carry the different shells? Do you load each box with the two loads, say with different colour hulls, or carry one load on one side pocket, the other on the opposite side??

·
Premium Member
20,014 Posts
12GA guy said:
I imagine that it becomes second nature for those that do it. How do you carry the different shells? Do you load each box with the two loads, say with different colour hulls, or carry one load on one side pocket, the other on the opposite side??
It's EASY! 8) Use different colored hulls for the two different loads. My shooting vest has DOUBLE pockets on EACH side. That's a total of 4 pockets. Since I'm right handed, I like to load from my right pockets using my right hand. I'll dump about half a box of red Win AA's in one of the right pockets and dump an equal amount of Black or Green Rem shells in the other right pocket. Then, when it's time to load, just reach in one right pocket and get a red AA shell and put it in the bottom barrel and then get a Black or Green Rem shell out of the other right pocket for the top barrel.

After the second station, I'll reach into my left pocket and transfer some shells to the correct right hand pocket. I suppose I could put all of one color in the right side and all of the other color in the left side, but I just like it better the way I do it since I find it awkward reaching into my left pocket with my right hand. 8)

·
Super Moderator
2,413 Posts
I shoot the same load for doubles that I shoot for everything - 1-1/8 oz #8 @ 1150 fps through IC/IM chokes, but I'm considering going to full choke for the 2nd shot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guys ,

i shoot international (olympic) Double Trap and i use Light Modified on bottom and Light Full on Top Barells with RC1 7/8oz (24gr) 7.5's for both shots.

These are very low recoil and very fast shells and help a lot in getting on the second bird fast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts