Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when we shoot....we only shoot singles on stations 3,4 and 5 but I see on the board a lot of references to shooting doubles on these stations...am I missing something or is it just a different format than what I'm used to shooting?

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Yes, you ARE missing out. There is a Skeet doubles game that is regularly shot as well as in shootoffs, doubles are shot at those stations then too!

BP

·
Registered
474 Posts
Since I can't seem to find another website with a good description of how it's done, allow me to explain how we do it where I shoot. Other clubs probably do it differently, so these rules are not set in stone.

First thing you need to realize is that there is no option shot, this will factor in later:

1. Shoot doubles on 3, high house first
2. Shoot doubles on 4, high house first
3. Shoot doubles on 5, low house first
4. Go back and shoot on 4, low house first
5. Shoot on 3, high house first
6. Shoot on 4, high house first
7. Shoot on 5, low house first
8. Go back and shoot on 4, low house first
9. Shoot on 3, high house first
10. Shoot on 4, high house first
11. Shoot on 5, low house first
12. Go back and shoot on 4, low house first.

By this point you have used up 24 shells. For the last one we do a quail walk. What you do is step up onto the shooting pad and load your gun and engage the safety. Just like you would do when hunting real birds. You then walk directly from station 4 towards station 8 and somewhere in the middle of the walk someone pulls a single from either the high or the low house without warning. You then mount the gun, turn off the safey and shoot your final shot.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Actually, the way doubles is shot, you start on 1 and shot the doubles the normal way high first through 4. On 5 shoot doubles low first. Go on to 6 and 7 and work backwards to 6 again shooting low first. When going CCW moving from 6 to 5, 5 to 4 the doubles on 4 is shot LOW first this time. On 3 it is back to high first. You do this untill you have shot 50 shells. You went across the field and back twice. Doubles skeet! You really want fun, do it with the traps set to wobble! :shock:

BP

·
Registered
474 Posts
Burnt Powder,

I have heard of those doubles as well but I've never actually shot them. The doubles you are referring to are the actual skeet doubles used in registered competition aren't they? I thought the original poster was refering to 3,4,5 doubles where those are the only stations that the shooters use (as shown in my post). I know they aren't really the official doubles but it is a fun game to shoot.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Hmmm? You may well be correct! I never gave that a thought, shooting just doubles from 3, 4, and 5? Never heard of it!

BP

·
Registered
115 Posts
Doubles from 3,4,5 are also how my son and I "warm up" when we first get to the club. We'll shoot 1 box that way, and we make a note of how far we each get before we miss our first birds. Sometimes we place a wager on the results of this round, like "loser has to clean the other's gun", or something like that. We then move on to regular rounds or regular doubles. We call it a "shoot-off" round, or "warming up shoot-off style".

We do this because in a registered shoot, there is very often several hours between the our last event and the shoot-offs. Often there is no extra field we can use to warm-up for a shootoff, so we wind up participating in the shoot-off "cold".

Seems to us that warming up this way better simulates actual shoot-off conditions (shooting cold and the added pressure of the little wager we make), and therefore is more effective practice for us.

Your mileage may vary....:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.