Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite dove ammo for all gauges that bags you the most birds?
Cheapest thing you can find (win. super speeds, etc.)1419.18%
game loads/light field loads4257.53%
heavy field loads1013.70%
hi brass56.85%
magnums22.74%

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I posted about dove ammo but I like a poll better so here is one. Just curious because I am going to the sporting goods store and I am stocking up this weekend.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Try the target loads like the Remington STS or Winchester AA with #8 shot. It is a nice load with good hard shot not the cheap stuff the promo loads have.

Steven

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would ammo like Federal Classic loads, win. super x, rem. shurshot dove loads have hard shot like the AA's?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I get the best results useing Winchester or RC sporting clays shells in 32 gram 71/2 shot.
Next time I'm in a gunshop I think I'll get some in 8 after seeing how many here use that size shot.
I have shot doves with shot size 9 when I'm blasting sparrows at the chook sheds and a dove makes a fatal mistake and flys in :) , 9s a bit light for general use tho.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I prefer the high velocty target loads like Win AA light handicap 1oz or Rem. STS nitro 1oz sporting loads in 7 1/2 or 8 shot. but I usually use my 1oz or 7/8oz reloads of hard #7 1/2 or 8's @ 1345 - 1450 fps. When it get close to duck season I start shooting 1 1/8 oz of the same shot sizes loaded with Longshot powder to 1470 - 1575 fps to get me ready for the high velocty waterfowl loads I'll be shooting at ducks and geese. I have been know to shoot doves with my 7/8 oz of #5 and #4 steel shot reloads for teal when the seasons are in at the same time and the doves start coming to to pond to drink. :roll:

Tim

·
Registered
62 Posts
I load my own. Early in the season I load light with #8 shot. Latter part of the season I switch to heavy field in #6 or 7 1/2.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I just use my reloads that I use for skeet. Doves aren't made out of kevlar.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I use Remington Game Loads for everything, though I have not dove hunted yet.

Jonathan

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
The GameLoad is an excellent all purpose round. They'll even work on early season pheasants.

·
Registered
176 Posts
20 gauge #1 said:
I posted about dove ammo but I like a poll better so here is one. Just curious because I am going to the sporting goods store and I am stocking up this weekend.
1 oz 7.5 or 9

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.