Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since dove season is coming up in 2 months, I want to start stocking up on ammo.
Last year I killed 8 on opening day with my 20 gauge 1300, I shot 2 boxes of winchester super speed #8's with 3/4 ounce of shot. Then I shot a box of hi brass #8's with 1 ounce of shot.
I seemed to hit more with the single box of hi brass.
But, They are about $8 a box and the super speeds are $3.

I was looking at some heavy field loads with an ounce of #8s and they were a few $ cheaper.

I just wanted to know your opinions on which I should use. I want a larger shot load because its easier to hit doves with more pellets.

will an ounce of 8's with 2 1/2 drams shoot just as far as an ounce with the 2 3/4 hi brass shells???? If they will I will go with the heavy field loads because they are cheaper.

I have even considered shooting 3" mag. 7 1/2s but I'm not spending $14 on a box of shells.

(the reason for asking this is because the doves always fly 40 and 50 yards high in the sky where I shoot dove every year and I want something that will reach up there and hit them.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Maybe you did better with the hi brass last season because you warmed up with the super speed #8's? maybe because the hi brass loads contain 1/4 oz. more shot?

I wouldn't start buying more expensive shot...yet. I would try shooting with a 1 oz. load (of a chaper variety than hi brass) and maybe using a 71/2 shot size for greater carrying power for those long shots.

I would still keep a box of hi brass with me though....for moral support :lol:

·
2,389 Posts
I shot a couple of cases of the "Super Speed" shells last fall and I was not impressed. They did not pattern at all well for me. I suspect blown patterns due to the very light payload at very high velocity. I gave most of my last case to the kid up the street to burn up at hand-thrown clays. For doves I'd recommend a light target load of 7/8 oz of 8's at 1150 - 1200 fps.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Winchester Super X Heavy (or Texas Heavy) Dove Loads

7.5, 8,9 shot in 1 oz loads running from 1135 - 1220 FPS depending on shot size.

Also Remington Shur-Shot Heavy Field Loads (can't miss them they are Green and Blaze Orange box)
7.5 and 8's at around 1200 FPS

I've shot cases and cases of these shells in SXS and Semi guns that I own and have never had a problem.

both of these run between $3.60 and $4.60 a box at Bass Pro, Academy. You might be able to find the Winchesters at Wal-Mart but are usually pretty hard to get there.

You can also order them online from Cabelas and BassPro

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dove Loads:

My dad uses #8 with 1 oz.(That's 28 g.) On a Winchester 1200
I Use #7.5 with 1 1/16 oz. (I Belive that's 30 g.) on remington 870 and 1100.
Thats only because I use modified fixed barrel. And Shoot long and short shots, My dad uses a an Improved Cylinder and only shoots short distance.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Some folks might consider the Winchester Heavy Game Load (12 gauge, 3.25 dr. eq., 1.125 oz.) as over-kill for doves but it works for me in my 391 with a modified choke tube.

Mike

·
Registered
110 Posts
What I still don't understand why shooter prefer the heavy shots, when they can hit dove on shots with 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 Eq. Dr. and an Oz. of shot. You are shooting a 1100 fps to 1290 on remington target loads. I belive a Heavy load will shake even your most inner thoughts. Shooters spent a lot of money trying to buy recoil reducers, but still buys a heavy load shot, that only make about 100 fps more than the hadicap or some target shots.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Unless I'm shooting waterfowl, I stick with the same load I shoot targets with 1 oz of 7 1/2 or 8. It will kill a quail, dove or rabbit just fine. I have also killed may a pheasent with the same load only with #6 shot. 1 oz of shot works fine and will not beat you to death like the fast or heavy loads. Shooting a heavier load does not make up for poor marksmanship! I've seen many a shooter practice with "target" loads and do well, then switch to some high brass smoker load to hunt with and can't understand why they miss so much game.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Remington Sure Shot is a good quality shotshell. I shoot the 20ga. 1oz. #8 loads in the first season of dove season then drop down to #7.5 size shot in the last season of dove season, because the weather is colder and the birds have more feathers on them. I've been buying them for the past 3 years. $32.50 for a 10 box case. I haven't reloaded shotshells in 3 years. Don't have to, with these prices I can buy just as cheap than reloading, plus I'm getting lazy! What makes a good patterning shotshell is the type of wad used, a wad that has a cup for the shot, another is the type of shot, chilled shot. Both these qualities are found in the Sure Shot. Keith

G

·
I would go with Federal Pheasants Forever 7 1/2 but if you want to spend the extra money go with hevi shot 7 /12. Last year, not kidding I droped a dove at 75 yds on what I thought
would be a goof off shot.But you'll be fine with any medium to heavy target or field load.
Happy Hunting

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Kent has a good load in the Velocity series. Its a sporting/target load w/ 3 dram eq and 1-1/16th of their diamond shot. At $31.90 a flat I'm going to stock up as I couldn't tell any real felt difference between them and the 1oz reloads that I was also shooting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As I was reading all of the responses I thought I would be the only one to say this...then I saw the last post. I've been loading 1 1/8 oz of #6 shot for dove for about three years. I had an experience with Remingtons promotional loads, 7.5 shot. I had a bird come by me right to left at about 20 yds. First shot..bang...feathers. Second shot..bang...feathers. Thirds shot bang..he falls. that was not the only time I hit birds and had them fly off.

So the next year I start loading 1 1/8 oz of 6's. I have had no more problems like I was having with the 7.5's. Granted not all shots with the 7.5's were like that, but it was enough of a problem that I wanted to try something different (it just made me so mad to see feathers flying and not get the bird in the bag) . I won't go back to 7.5's. An ounce and and eighth is not a heavy load so I can shoot it all day long with no wear and tear on my shoulder.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
The problem isnt with the 7-1/2 shot its with the crappy promo loads. They use the cheap lead with little antimony, a wad cup that is often nothing more than a strip of plastic with a pressed paper divider between the shot and powder charge, and then try to pack some punch with a 3 or max dram load pushing a 7/8oz payload.

There is a reason those loads are cheap, they are made that way.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Nowhere in the thread did I see the choke mentioned.... if the birds are really high (I doubt 40 or 50 yards high... 30 yards up seems like a mile) then the choke should be mod or even full. In a 20 ga, 1 oz of either #6 or #7-1/2 at about 1250 fps ought to do the job on doves. I use that load for sporting clays - it makes a 20 think it's a 12.

Discussions like this can cause otherwise normal people to start reloading...

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
wwb, Your right about the choke. Its the subject "dove ammo" that got us. 90% of the time I'm dove hunting I use a mod. choke, when in a small field or when they are flying close I use imp. choke. I use #8 shot in the 1st season and drop down to #7 1/2 in the last season. Keith

1 - 17 of 17 Posts