Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22,881 Posts

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Cool wet weather concentrated our doves around food in late August. The next front sent most of them to Oklahoma and north Texas. I took 5 shots and got three doves this morning and two were retrieved by my elderly swamp colllie "Jolly" and one by her youthful understudy also a golden retriever "Tully" 8 months old and it was her first hunt this morning.

60% shooting, a first retrieve by the new pup, no birds lost and home by 10AM tht is a good day overall.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Those of us here in south La. have to wait for Sat at noon to dove hunt. The wife says if I play with the guns and gear anymore I will wear it all out. Am I ready-OH YEAH!!!

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
It has been fair here. Seems that we are going tog et some better weather so hopefully it will pick up.

·
Registered
22,881 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
The first day was great. Four of us each shot a limit. I had an especially good day - no lost birds, a tricky double and only used 35 shells. For me this is as good as it gets. The wind was pretty gusty and we were set up on a ridge under a flyway, it was pretty difficult pass shooting.

Second day two of us each shot a limit on the same ridge, but it took me a while to scratch down my 15. My buddy was shooting good and he filled his limit quick and didn't use too many shells.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Opening Day - 50 birds in the morning, another 20 in the evening. Eurasian Collared dove are taking over here; as they are an unwanted, non-native species, Game & Fish has declared "No Limit" on them during dove season. You can hunt until you get your limit of native dove, which is 15. A total of 5 birds counted against my limit on opening day. I'm happy to do my part to reduced the population of these non-native intruders!

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Sitting in the sunflowers right now! 9:15AM Three of us are about 1/2 way to limits. Gotta go........

·
Registered
403 Posts
BPGuy said:
Opening Day - 50 birds in the morning, another 20 in the evening. Eurasian Collared dove are taking over here; as they are an unwanted, non-native species, Game & Fish has declared "No Limit" on them during dove season. You can hunt until you get your limit of native dove, which is 15. A total of 5 birds counted against my limit on opening day. I'm happy to do my part to reduced the population of these non-native intruders!
I see a lot of those around Fort Worth, and Texas Parks and Wildlife says the same thing - get rid of them. Unfortunately, all of the ones I've seen have been in town. My neighbors frown on shooting them in the street.

·
Registered
344 Posts
East Texas..............Wednesday.................6 guys.................75 birds.................lot of young ones in the bag,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,only 3 or 4 collared/Eurasian doves.

You guys kinda talk like the Eurasian birds are a plague or something. I'll take all y'all don't want...............Easier to see with these old eyes! Birds had a 15 mph tailwind early in the day. After the wind stopped..............they started hugging the clouds.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
I can't go until noon tomorrow. I'm getting my mess together. I'll take four boxes of shells, an extra gun, and hope to make a lot of racket when the birds come in. I think I'll use my old Stevens 311 this year as my primary and the Franchi 48 as my backup gun. I like to smell the gunpowder smoke as I take out the empties. I use Federals as they smell a lot like the old Peters ammo of long ago.

When I went to Walmart yesterday, they had Winchesters for $40.87 per flat. I passed them up for the Federals. I always use el cheapos on doves. I don't care if I hit a single bird so long as I can shoot in their general direction. Maybe one or two will have heart failure because of the noise and drop into my lap. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Dove hunting has been pretty slow for us so far here in central Indiana. To much cool and wet weather in late August scattered the birds. I am doubtful that this year will be a great yaer for doves, at least around here. El Nino sucks!

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Been pretty good here in SE Kansas so far. Got my limit the first two days and 10 on the third day. So far, I'm shooting right at 50%. The field we've been hunting is done and now we're looking for more spots. Going this afternoon to another place similar in nature to the first field. Will hunt cut corn tomorrow afternoon. This is shaping up to be the best dove season we've had for the past 3 or 4.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I Hunted the Colorado river Indian reservation and Blythe Calif and had a spectacular opening day and a great second day. The Whitewings were out in force and the weather was scary opening morning but cleared out. what made my day though was quail looked very VERY healthy for the October opening. I hit my Limits both Days and on Day one used my .410 alot and on day two as well.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Northern Indiana - 3 Hunters with limits on Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday. One of the best years in the last five or six. Lots of young birds. all of this was on a public FWA using non-tox shot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.