Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
No !!!!!! The first week I went early morn and late evening, and thats everyday. 7 days
The second week I went 2 times in the morn and 4 times in the evening. :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
There are 2 seasons in AZ, an early season (Sept 1-15) you can hunt only until noon. Both Morning and Whitewings are around for that hunt.

The late season (Nov 21-Jan24) you can hunt all day

I like the late season because it adds a little more interest to my quail hunts if things are slow on the ground.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I go whenever I can and when I'm hunting the second season I always shoot #7 steel and carry some duck loads just in case I get some shots at low flying ducks.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ohio has a split season the first closes early October the second half opens in December.I am going this afternoon this is trip 23 for me.I finally have decent private land to hunt and it is a ball !!! Has anyone shot a banded dove yet ???

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
With more than 85,000 banded all over the states you got a chance at them, I know of atleast 3 in our area from opening day.

http://www.hunting.net/news/news.asp?ID=269

Mourning Dove Banding Project

Mourning dove hunters are asked to carefully check all doves for leg bands during the upcoming season. More than 85,000 mourning doves will be trapped and banded during the next three years in North Dakota and 25 other states as part of a nationwide study.

Doves have been fitted with metal leg bands, each inscribed with a bird identification number and a toll-free telephone number hunters can use to report the band. In return, wildlife managers will receive important information on the number of banded doves harvested, and location and date of harvest.

Earlier this summer mourning doves were captured in North Dakota in wire funnel traps baited with grain. Birds were examined to determine age and gender, fitted with leg bands from the US Fish and Wildlife Service, then released.

The objectives of the three-year study are to determine mourning dove harvest rates, estimate annual survival, provide information on geographic distribution of harvest, and to develop and refine techniques for future banding.

Bird bands can be reported by calling 800-327-BAND(2263); or online at www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl. Hunters will receive a certificate of appreciation that identifies who banded the bird, age and gender of the bird, and date and location of banding.

Mourning doves are one of the most widely distributed and abundant birds in North America. They are a popular game bird with hunting seasons established in 36 states.

More doves are harvested annually in the United States than all other migratory game bird species combined. In North Dakota, an estimated 8,500 dove hunters spent an average of 3.13 days in the field, harvesting more than 36,000 doves in 2001.

source: ND Outdoors August 2003

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/passport/li ... 030901.htm

http://www.miami.com/mld/kansascity/new ... 545574.htm

If you need more data a search with "dove banding" will show the various state agencies releases and other info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts