Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Lots of birds in my area, but getting them to congregate may prove difficult early season this year. Due to all the flooding in the spring we have mostly soybeans instead of corn and rice so few if any crops will be harvested by September.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
huntinmo said:
If you shoot them over a bean field, how long does it take you to find a downed bird? :?
I will not shoot them over a bean field unless I have my dog with me. My best bet this years will be to find a piece of layout ground full of weeds and see if I can get the owner to lightly disk it a few days before season. Otherwise I will have to wait for some corn to get cut.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
bprater said:
I drove up to the Fuson Mgt Area on Sunday evening. Cons. Dept. has planted 4 sunflower fields and one big corn field. The sunflowers are spectacular right now. I didn't see many birds, but I think that will change soon. I talked to one of the agents this morning and he told me they were going to bush-hog 1/3 of the sunflowers sometime in the next week, then bush-hog another 1/3 a week prior to the season open, leaving 1/3 standing.

There should be some really spectacular shooting there on opening day.

My alternate location is a dairy farm that belongs to a good friend. They have leased a farm that they have 140 ac. of corn and 40 ac. of milo planted. When they cut that, it should really be productive.

Good luck to all. Hopefully, it will be a better season than we had last year.

BTW, has anyone seen a MO Dove regulation pamphlet? They haven't shown up around here yet and it's just three weeks to opening day! I have not found one on the MDC web site either.
Here ya go!
http://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/r ... 11_mbd.pdf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.