Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's nearly August and I'm starting to get twitchy. By August 15th I'll have checked all my decoys and my Mojo about 10 times.

You guys in northern MO, how are the birds up there this year? There are plenty of birds in this part of the state and we should have a very good openning day.

Good luck to all.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drove up to the Fuson Mgt Area on Sunday evening. Cons. Dept. has planted 4 sunflower fields and one big corn field. The sunflowers are spectacular right now. I didn't see many birds, but I think that will change soon. I talked to one of the agents this morning and he told me they were going to bush-hog 1/3 of the sunflowers sometime in the next week, then bush-hog another 1/3 a week prior to the season open, leaving 1/3 standing.

There should be some really spectacular shooting there on opening day.

My alternate location is a dairy farm that belongs to a good friend. They have leased a farm that they have 140 ac. of corn and 40 ac. of milo planted. When they cut that, it should really be productive.

Good luck to all. Hopefully, it will be a better season than we had last year.

BTW, has anyone seen a MO Dove regulation pamphlet? They haven't shown up around here yet and it's just three weeks to opening day! I have not found one on the MDC web site either.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm waaay past that now! I'm so ready for cooler weather and the start of dove season.

Claycomo - What part of MO are you in? Are you seeing many doves yet?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Claycomo -

No idea where to hunt in the St. Louis area.

Suggest you get on the DNR web site and look up the public management areas near you. They list whether or not they manage for dove - that means they plant sunflower or millet and cut some of it down prior to the season opener.

I usually hunt one down here in the Ozarks in Wright Co. with some success. Rest of the time I am fortunate enough to hunt a friends dairy farm.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
51 days and a wake-up!

I'm really looking forward to the season this year.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the last two years are any indicator, huntinmo has given you good info. Three years ago we had a magnificent dove season, with plentiful birds throughout the season. In the last two years, it wasn't worth the time and effort to even go out after the first week or 10 days of the season.

Perhaps other parts of the state did better, but here in the Ozarks it's been pretty lean hunting for doves in recent years.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fortunately, I have a good friend that's a dairy farmer who plants corn and millet. He will normally cut off some of it a week or so prior to dove season to allow the birds to aclimate and start feeding there. We usually have some pretty good hunts there, especially at the beginning of the season.

Just 33 days 'til season opens! I hope it cools down a little before then and we also get some rain.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey, I'll bust a pigeon just as fast as a dove!

Have you figured out where you will hunt opening day?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, the 2012 Dove season turned out to be a complete bust. Probably the worst season in 4 years. I can only hope and pray that 2013 turns out a little better.

Do any of you MO hunters have any opinion regarding the season times and length? I think it would be a far better season, at least in the Ozarks, if the season were split, like they do in some other states. I'd like to see the season open for 15 days on Sep 1, then close for 2 weeks, then open again for another 15 days, close for another two weeks, then open again for another 15 day season.

I sincerely believe that would give us a far better opportunity for some of the migrating birds from the north. It seems like all the birds we see are locals.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
L Sidener said:
You lost me on that one. Why are you not hunting the migrating birds from the north as you say now? Doesnt our season run from Sept 1st. until early Nov. How would a split season make it better if you can hunt them now. They are either here or they arent...I always hunt them. They have been some of my very best hunts after opening day.....
I saw a lot of migrating birds here in late November and December. They stopped, rested up and then flew on to Texas, where they have a split season and can hunt all the way into Jan.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Claycomo -
I too am looking forward to the season. I'll probably spend opening day out at a dairy farm where a good friend lets me shoot. I sincerely hope for a better year this year.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
huntinmo -

I have not had the opportunity to talk to my friend yet either. Hopefully, he will have cut quite a bit by this time, but I'm not holding my breath. We had a cold, wet spring and I doubt if they got much planted early.

Where are you located? We might be able to link up for a hunt some time.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I think we would be a little too far apart to try to set something up. Good luck this year.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, opening day has come and gone, and I had the best opening day I've had in 3 years, getting my limit early in the day. A good friend invited me to shoot on private land and we had a superb day. Hope this holds up for the rest of the season!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Clay -

Yup, and I still have not figured out where I'm going to shoot!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Possible storms and rain in the PM here. I'm shooting at a friends dairy farm. He has been cutting corn for about a week and I'm hopeful the doves have found the field!

Good luck and send some of your birds down our way.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Went out for the afternoon hunt. Not great, but still pretty good. Got 9 birds for 18 shots. Man, I can't believe some that I missed!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.