Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my GSP lady for her morning run here at the farm. The first field behind the house must have 300+ doves in it. This is the tail end of the 3rd spilt and the migratory birds are here. The problem is no hunters-everyone is deer hunting. I deer hunt every day here but would like to shoot some birds and one man sure as heck can't cover a 150 acre field. Wish more of my farmer friends liked to bird hunt as much as I do. Can't have it all I guess.

·
Registered
100 Posts
fase3

Where in South Louisiana are you located?
I live between Houma and Thibodaux, La. in a small town named Gray. I love to shoot doves.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Chaco1 said:
I guess I'm confused. Lots of birds and no hunters? Sounds like a good thing to me.
With more hunters you can keep the dove flying in a circle pattern. Otherwise they fly in a straight line (typically away from you) and its a losing battle to try and follow them from field to field.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I much prefer two or more buddies to hunt doves with, for most of my spots, to keep them moving. The only exception is a really localized feed field, like the only cut corn field for miles. Solo is okay then, because they will keep coming back. But that only happens here around late September.

Get some people out there and keep those birds moving!

Jeremiah

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I guess the hunting is just diferetnt here. We sit on a watehole and the doves just bomb in and the number of hunters is not relevant.

Funny thing is today I went upland hunting. Hit a spot usually good for a few pheasants and there is a quail covey there. Gotm up about 100 doves. It is 20 degrees out and snowing with a 10 mph wind. Too bad the season is over but I was awfully tempted.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chaco1,
JRL is right as far as where I live. Water is no problem for the birds. Within 4 miles of the farm are 2 major rivers (one is the Miss. river) not counting bayous,sloughs,etc. If you do not have enough hunters to keep the birds moving in the field they will fly to the next one. The only chance I have when alone is to catch them coming in or going out and take up a position under a power line pole on the property and take some when they come to light. Spotty though as some days they will come in on the south end of the place and the next day the north. I guess that's why they call it hunting and not killing. Got to love it!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chaco1,
I have 2 of them. They work fine as long as the doves are flying in your general direction (use them w/2 dozen inflatible on stakes as well). When you are on one end of 150 acres and they take it upon themselves to land at the other end you are S.O.L. That's O.K. Sat. morn. I'm taking my little GSP lady and going to shoot some woodcock with a friend. Life ain't perfect-but it's good.
Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.