Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a four barrel set skeet gun made by Dr. Franco Beretta, Brescia Italy. The reciever is marked "Black Diamond Grade 1", all wood is of high quality with little or no dings. Fit and finish on all the metal parts is outstanding. The gun is in a tan leather case with partitions for each of the four barrels and forearms. Serial number is 4**, with all numbers matching. Bores are bright with no pitting, blueing is like new on all surfaces.

Can anyone tell me anything about this gun. Did one of the Berettas start making guns outside the family business? I would like to know the approxamate value as well.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Your Black Diamond 4 barrel skeet set is valued at $2,275 in 95% condition. The company was located in Brescia until 1994. I don't know if Dr. Franco is part of the Beretta family that is more well known.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Dr. Franco E. Beretta came from the same part of Italy as the other Beretta family, and I would guess that they are related in some way, but as far as I know he was never a part of Fabbrica d'Armi Pietro Beretta S.p.A. He started making guns under his own name, and later changed the company name to Effebi (a takeoff on his initials, F.E.B.). My guess is - and it is only a guess - that his distant relatives sued him over copyright infringement and forced the name change. I think the name change took place in 1994.

To figure out what year your gun was made, see http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=73492

Here is Effebi's web site, but be warned - turn your volume down before mousing across the menu! http://www.effebisnc.it/

A couple of years ago, the Blue Book was saying that Effebi was imported by American Outdoor Adventures, 1335 US Hwy 82W, Leesburg, GA 31763-5334, 229-434-0539 and they said the web site was www.aoaworld.com , but that site doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
BTW, the full name of this company is EFFEBI Di F. Beretta & C. Snc There is another company named EFFEBI that manufactures valves, and I don't know whether the two are related in any way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, it helps a lot. I plan to research some of the history of the Company. I do know this particular gun was purchased in Europe by a serviceman, and brought to the states in the early eighties.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts