Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone other than I use drillings for their every day field shotgun? Most drillings are great handling shotguns, and many deer seasons run during the bird seasons. What are your State laws regarding their use?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I'd love to shoot a drilling but not enough $$$. My only concern with a drillings is that they are pretty much only available in hard to find european calibers. And they can be a little on the heavy side :wink:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are expensive, but well worth the zukes. One can be purchased for about $950.00 to $1,000.00 in 16 ga & 9,3x72r. 9,3x72r ammo is now readily available from Sellier & Bellot for about $45.00 a box...not inexpensive, but we don't blast away like the kids with their AK's (and, yes I do have an AK, myself). You will get one for this price with a 65mm length chamber, 2 9/16" for those of you in Rio Linda. It is quite easy to lengthen the chamber with a long forcing cone reamer from Brownell's. They cost $67.95 + $7.25 shipping. Bullets for the 9,3x72r can be had at Huntington's. It sounds expensive, but you will have a thing of beauty and grace. Most drillings are not heavy. I just sold one that didn't fit me quite right, but did fit the new owner. It was a 16&8x57jr with a dural tube scope 4x in claw mounts. It weighs 6.5 pounds and handles like part of one's own body. Some are heavier, granted. The one I use as an upland shotgun comes in at 7.3 pounds and fits me just right. Since I am a bit bigger than average, the 7.3 pounds is not a big factor. Drillings are so artfully made that they are GRACE in your hands. Save your bucks and start out with the 16 & 9,3x72r. The 9,3x72r is about the same as a 35 Remington in ballistics. Make sure the rifle bore is good, and the action is tight. They are expensive to restore! Don't worry about light pitting in the shotgun barrels. Most have some.

·
Registered
98 Posts
While I prefer my pre-war SLE, I do hunt with my Blitz action guild drilling upon occasion. It's the ubiquitous 16x16x9.3x72R configuration, and I lengthened the chambers two weeks ago. Additionally, thanks for the info on the availability of 9.3x72R loaded cartridges.

A good friend of mine has a J.P. Sauer side-cocker drilling that I drool over, but after the recent article in the DGJ about side-cockers, prices will likely go up.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The side cocking sidelocks are the best of the best. They have a conventional top tang safety, and the rifle barrel is selected by cocking the side lever to the left on most. It is easily uncocked by holding it downwhile pulling the front trigger and letting it back up slowly. They are my favorites! :) :) I have owned several and presently have a Charles Daley- Linder/Prussia 12x12x30-30. You are right, the prices are going up :cry: :cry: One can still be had for ..........$2,600.00 to $4,000.00. I don't expect them to get sky high, since the drilling market is limited...I hope it stays that way :wink: I am off to the Big Reno Show, a great gun show starting today. I always go with my 16 GA chamber length gauge. (secret---If you show an uninformed seller that the chambers are "hopelessly" short, they often come down hundreds of $$$ on the price. :wink: :wink: Buy the gun at the reduced price and get the Brownell's long forcing cone reamer for about $75.00, shipped and follow the instructions). If you plan to reload for the 9,3x72r, IMR 30-31 is about perfect! Be sure to use only the 193 gr .364 bullets, NOT the Speer .366 270's.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've been down the bullet-size road. I leaded the bore when I recieved the gun in a trade and found it to have the .364 bore. I do have dies, but the gun came with loaded rounds. Unfortunately, it's illegal to use anything but jacketed bullets for large game (read deer), and the loads have un-jacketed bullets. Moreover, it doesn't have claw mounts, and using iron sights in open country for deer isn't ideal...but not impossible. It is great, however, for the occasional coyote that gets too close for its own good.

I had been loading 2.5" shotgun shells until I reamed it two weeks ago. Moreover, it's choked full and fuller, so I don't use it as much as I would if the chokes were opened up, which I may have done post-season.

Getting a deal on short-chambered guns has not happened to me, but then again, the dealers with whom I've dealt are gun savvy. I don't get out enough to find the guys who don't know what they have.

The friend of mine who uses a Sauer side-cocker had a boxlock side-cocker that he sold recently. I regreted somewhat not jumping on that one, but after seeing his sidelock Sauer sidecocker with the tang peep sight and tang safety (I hate Greener safeties), I've decided to hold out for one like it. Reminded me of a side-lever Grant, which is also on the wish list.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know of a sidelock side cock in 16 & 8x57jr for $2,600.00. It is a good buy, and I would have it in my safe, had I not just spent my last buck for a down payment on my future retirement house in NW Montana.

G

·
I have been looking for a drilling with a tang safety, lighter weight and no scope mounts to be used mostly for bird hunting. What brands/makers do you suggest?

G

·
:lol: I use my Kreighoff Plus TS 20/20/30.06 for Grouse AND with the Kahles 1.1-4x four post scope.
---Jmar - DrillingHotLine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.