Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy there!
Are there any drilling owners / enthusiasts out there? I have been using my Timner drilling for Ruffed Grouse hunting for the past few years. It is surprisingly light and is a real joy to carry for 6 to 7 hours of walking.

·
Registered
356 Posts
:D Drilling collector here!!! 8)

I use my drillings for deer and bird hunting, as they were intended. I have even killed a cape buffalo in Tanzania with a 12/12/9,3X74r Simson drilling.

I use a Charles Daley (Sauer) sidelock, sidecock in 12 & 30-30 for quail and chucker.

My Tribbel 16 & 8X57jr with 4X Hensoldt was my deer rifle last fall, as I was hunting a ridgeline that has always had several covies of chucker.

My Sauer 3000 in 12 & 30-06 with 6X Nickel Supra goes to Africa for plains game and birds...Francolin, sand grouse, guinea... I had the beavertail forearm slimmed down to a useful and more estheticly pleasing splinter. This is a modern drilling, made in 1987 and will take heavier shotgun loads.

I also shoot a Sauer cape gun two barrel set in 12/12 and 12/8X57JR with a Weaver K3 60B P&CH in claws. I take it to Africa and use it for warthog, francolin and doves. I took a very nice 6 1/4" Steenbuck with it several years ago. I recently sold a trim little cape gun in 16 & 9,3X72rR to a good friend for his wife to shoot.

I am presently selling an N. Lajot Best Quality Sidelock Ejector two barrel set in 9,3X74R DR and in 16/8X57JR with scope in claws on the combo barrels. It was made in 1930 and fully floral and cupid engraved by the famous L. Smeets, should anyone be interested.

Nice to hear from another combo gun enthusiast!!! :) :wink: Do you use yours for all types of hunting? :?:

Regards,
L2S

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! You sure get around! The 9.3x74R is quite a bruiser, eh? The 9.3x72R is tame compared to that. My gun is a 16x16 over 9.3x72R. A lot of 72Rs must still be around, because it seems like ammo is FAIRLY easy to obtain. My drilling is what the GGCA calls a 'guild gun'. They have seen Timner marked guns, but have no clue as to who or what Timner was. I have a book that illustrates a gun like mine, made by Heym. Somewhere during the past 90 some years, the splinter forend (the outline of the original forend on the barrels is distinct) was replaced by a full beavertail and the stock is now an English straight grip. The wood has beautiful patterns. I don't know the correct term. I have seen pictures, but cannot recall the name. The fit to metal is outstanding, including the cartridge trap. The buttplate is horn. The checkering is perfect. Today, I could not imagine what a stockmaker would charge to duplicate my set-up. All the prrof marks indicate it is a pre-1912 gun. On one of the underlugs is the number '594'. May 1894? That is the only number that I could construe as a date.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Those early 16/9,3X72R drillings were so trim and nice in the hand! They are a true pleasure to carry and make you feel like an aristocrat... :D The 9,3X72R is a real deer killer out to about 125 yards, too, much like the 35 Remington. The 2 1/2" Gamebore or Ely shells keep the pressures down and keep the older drillings on face. No drilling should be shot with high pressure loads; they will loosen up much faster than conventional SXS shotguns. :idea:

I like your gun's configuration. If you ever decide to let someone screw you out of...ERRR...UHHH...take it off your hands, let me know. :wink:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I will have to admit, I do feel kinda like an 'aristocrat' when I am pursuing the elusive Ruffed Grouse! I have considered using it for whitetail, but never took it beyond that. I have seen a few drillings with the same action as mine. One is for sale on the GGCA website for $3500. That seems to be the average for what I have seen. Even 90 some years ago, my gun must have cost more than a few Deutsche Marks. I don't imagine the average sodbuster buying one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.