Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
I am a deputy sheriff in CA, so I guess I will settle this. The locked case rule only applies to "concealable" firearms. Any legal shotgun does not fall into this category. They can be transported in any part of a vehicle concealed or not as long as they are unloaded. The weapon is considered loaded if a shell is attached to the weapon in any way. This includes the magazine tube or a side saddle. Some case law was just recently passed that says shells in a side saddle are not considered loaded, but a Podunk cop may not know that.

· Registered
192 Posts
helipilotas350 said:
I am a deputy sheriff in CA, so I guess I will settle this. The locked case rule only applies to "concealable" firearms. Any legal shotgun does not fall into this category. They can be transported in any part of a vehicle concealed or not as long as they are unloaded. The weapon is considered loaded if a shell is attached to the weapon in any way. This includes the magazine tube or a side saddle. Some case law was just recently passed that says shells in a side saddle are not considered loaded, but a Podunk cop may not know that.
PERFECT! .... was waiting for a law enforcement officer to jump in on this.

So carrying my gun unloaded in it's case and the shells in my field bag are perfectly fine with no need for a lock on either the case of the gun.

I normally throw the trigger lock on mine just to be on the safe side but never really new I had to.

Thanks so much for the clarification sir ... I will just do as I normally do and lock it if I decide to or not ... nice to know that if I get pulled over having it in the case unlocked and the shells in another separate bad away from the case is perfectly legal.

Thanks again! :)

· Registered
86 Posts
falconman515 said:
helipilotas350 said:

So carrying my gun unloaded in it's case and the shells in my field bag are perfectly fine with no need for a lock on either the case of the gun.

I normally throw the trigger lock on mine just to be on the safe side but never really new I had to.

Thanks so much for the clarification sir ... I will just do as I normally do and lock it if I decide to or not ... nice to know that if I get pulled over having it in the case unlocked and the shells in another separate bad away from the case is perfectly legal.

Remember to that the 4th amendment allows you to refuse a search of your vehicle if the officer does not have probable cause to search. If you keep your gun in the trunk and you get pulled over just pretend it isn't there, even though you are carrying it legally. If the officer asks you if he can search your vehicle just say no. He will tell you that if you have nothing to hide, if there is nothing illegal in the car, ask him if you are free to go and if he dose search it you will have a nice fat lawsuit. Just make sure there is nothing illegal in the car because of there is he will find probable cause..... wink wink

· Registered
192 Posts
helipilotas350 said:
falconman515 said:
helipilotas350 said:

Remember to that the 4th amendment allows you to refuse a search of your vehicle if the officer does not have probable cause to search. If you keep your gun in the trunk and you get pulled over just pretend it isn't there, even though you are carrying it legally. If the officer asks you if he can search your vehicle just say no. He will tell you that if you have nothing to hide, if there is nothing illegal in the car, ask him if you are free to go and if he dose search it you will have a nice fat lawsuit. Just make sure there is nothing illegal in the car because of there is he will find probable cause..... wink wink
I'll be sure to keep my open 40oz and weed bong out of sight! LOL LOL LOL :lol:

· Registered
168 Posts
This has been very helpful for the shotgun carrying laws...as for my .357 revolver, I still cannot walk around with that on my hip right? haha. But it sounds like I can have it unloaded, in my car, visible

· Registered
9 Posts
Check out the Wiki at CalGuns:

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

Calguns does a great job of keeping up with this stuff.

What I observe many folks doing is carrying their shotgun in a gun case (original equipment or aftermarket) and unloaded. Most are not locking the case, and most are transporting in a locked trunk or in the bed of the truck, a few behind the front seat in the truck.

Watch out for the safe school provisions. I hear of many just avoiding driving by schools. If it is a must to get to where you are going, the shotgun case/container must be locked. Notice there does not appear to be a provision for a broken down shotgun or one with a cable lock through the action.

Open carry of a shotgun in CA is illegal. So if you are walking your shotgun from your vehicle in a parking lot to your house, it must be in a gun case or locked container.

Way to complicated here in CA. :(

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.