Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gun that 1/8" too severe in drop at comb. I was told by my stock man that there is no way to fix this.

But, I read that this can be fixed by bending the metal up (or something like that).

Surely this must be fairly common, and there must be some simple solution.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Instead of bending the metal, with a risk of breaking something, try putting one of the soft comb stick on pads on the comb, rising it up slightly. They come in different thickness's. One of the guy's that I shoot with glued a pc. of soft leather on his pump to raise the comb. Works great for him.

If your "stock man" told you it can't be fixed, I'd find another stock man, cause it can be fixed.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
EyeMissum said:
If your "stock man" told you it can't be fixed, I'd find another stock man, cause it can be fixed.
as don said, or run find another :roll:

any number of ways to raise it-----bending would be the least obvious------to using cardboard/bondo/felt/foam/ etc etc------the product made for this is called a ''cheekeez'' you can easily find in a search

·
Banned
473 Posts
If the only thing you want to do is raise the comb by 1/8", install a 1/8" Cheek-eez pad. They cost about $10, have a peel off backing and stick right on the stock. Problem solved.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Going off your other post, is this the same gun as the one with the cast problem?
If it is, have it bent for both cast and drop (possibly toe) at the same time. I was told by many people that a gun could npt be bent up because of the grain but I spoke to a couple of stock benders and they said it can be done. If you bend a stock up for less drop it will affect the drop at heel and you then may require an adjustable butt plate. I just said the heck with it and got a different buttstock.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ClayTargetKiller said:
Going off your other post, is this the same gun as the one with the cast problem?
If it is, have it bent for both cast and drop (possibly toe) at the same time. I was told by many people that a gun could npt be bent up because of the grain but I spoke to a couple of stock benders and they said it can be done. If you bend a stock up for less drop it will affect the drop at heel and you then may require an adjustable butt plate. I just said the heck with it and got a different buttstock.
Everyone, thanks for the advice. No, this is a different gun. I have learned a great from this forum, and by doing some studying on my own about gun fit. AND about how to buy a gun. The comb had about 1/4" taken off (maybe less), it's hard to tell, when I had the stock refinished. I still didn't shoot horribly with the gun until this year.

The SxS I bought from a very reputable dealer, new, and I knew nothing about cast, so I just shot it, although not very often. Again, I didn't do horribly with it until this year.

This year I ended up shooting my old Smith & Wesson auto, because it fits me. The O/U with the low comb I'm selling, and the SxS I'm going to try to get bent, or a new stock.

Thanks, again, everyone.

Dennis

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
goldenbear said:
Whats the brand of guns you are talking about?--GB
The O/U with the low comb is a Beretta, 20ga with 26&1/2 barrels.

The SxS with the left hand cast is an Ugartechea 16ga.

Dennis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts