Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I dropped my mossberg pump gun in the water last week for about 10 seconds.. I broke it down within 20 minutes and hand dried everything I could then put it on the floor of the truck with the heat vented towards the floor.
3 days later I was able to to break it down again and spray WD-40 (lubriplate) in the pin area and ejector area.
No rust is present that I can see but will I see problems long term? If so where?
If I missed something please let me know so i can clean it again.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
10 seconds, 10 minutes---ain't ya ever duck hunted---at the very least take a can of degreaser and spray 'er down-then hose it with CLP.Better yet take 'er down and clean it properly-rust will form in the nooks and crannies and cause trouble down the road---at THE worst time :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
331 Posts
what you needto do is take gun apart this includes taking stock off gun. Get yourself some ballistol this oil is bio freindly will not harm wood plastic bone leather and is fine enough to penetrate metal to put down a protective coat so water will not enter. This product also has a PH of 8 so will help neutralize acid sweat.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Merry Christmas goodoleboy! LOL, I usually go swimming with my gun about once a year to while hunting ducks!! It's no big deal.

You did the right thing to break the gun down and get it dried. WD-40 does displace water. but as said it's not meant to protect the metal for long term. If you have a wood butt stock, once it's off, you may want to seal the wrist area where it meets the receiver, and the butt area under the pad or butt plate. Stocks generally have no finish here, and wood is like a straw and can suck in a lot of water if left wet.

You will want to break the gun down again, using a high quality gun oil or metal protectant lube the gun and reassemble. I've learned to keep a can of WD-40 or Break-Free in the duck blind for just this reason!!

Good shooting!

Regards Dave

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
3 days later? I'm no waterfowl hunter but I know would've been driving that truck to the nearest sporting goods store to buy and empty a can of BreakFree on the moving parts of that gun. I agree with Only Win: applying a hyrophobic finish of your choosing in the inlet areas of your stock (assuming it's wood) and under the recoil pad is a good idea. Don't allow the finish to build up since it could upset the bedding of your stock.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to mention I did spray the chamber area while still assembled after the initial wipe down with rem oil. I was with a buddy who kept saying well be here in a minute and they will have everything you need.Well, a minute turned into never.

The stock is a syn stock no worries on that. I didnt think to do the trigger group or anything else tell I got back home. Guess, I was to excited about getting a duck and I brought my other pump so i kinda forgot about the wet gun.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well the good thing is it happened to the Mossberg...right? Then the other good thing is you had a backup gun. Then again you didn't drown the gun did. Clean the gun as described, choose your method of many posted.

Worse could have happened. You get to hunt another day!

·
Registered
198 Posts
i perfer to use gunscrubber, followed by a coat of rem lube oil with teflon,
water shouln't have hurt it too bad, my whole bbl gets soaked on my muzzle loader every time i shoot it, but then again, no nooks and crannys and i use very hot water so it evaporates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.