Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Doc!! Sounds like you guys had a great time on your "Fall Kick Off Get Together Shoot", sounds like 2few taught you guys a few things about shooting (LOL!!), I think one of the finer points that he mentioned was the guns always shoot with the safety switched off, LOL!! Well on a more serious note, I have to ask, has your opinion changed any in regards to the Huglu made guns?? I'm glad you guys had fun, did falcon5 (the fellow from Orvis) show up?? Strat

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on Doc, I know you're not bashful, what did you think??? Honestly it's OK if you want to stick to your old original opinion. I just want to know if there has been any change in you perception after seeing an SGr model and maybe seeing them on the shooting line?? I really wish you could have had the opportunity to shoot one..
strat

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Ugh... hit reply and my browser crashed :(

Anyway... you were 30 minutes between posts... I *do* have to get work done! :lol:

2few has the nicest Turk I've seen to date-- really beautiful piece of wood! . I'll not comment beyond that on it, as my biggest concern is longevity, and the jury is out on that...

Regarding safeties-- Many (most?) competitive target shooters have the barrel selector and safety disabled... there's just no need for them on a dedicated target gun.

·
Premium Member
20,328 Posts
drsfmd said:
Regarding safeties-- Many (most?) competitive target shooters have the barrel selector and safety disabled... there's just no need for them on a dedicated target gun.
No, I don't think so. Why would a sporting clays shooter want to disable the barrel selector on his gun? It's a valuable time saver. Suppose on station 1 he has a skeet choke in the bottom barrel for the close first shot and a modified choke in the top barrel for the considerably longer second shot on report pairs. Let's say that when he gets to station 2 the longer shot is on the first target and the closer shot is on the second target of the report pairs.

With a barrel selector, all he has to do is flip the selector switch. If that switch has been disabled, he has to remove both chokes and then switch them around and put them right back into the gun. Disabling the barrel selector is a BAD idea, IMO.

As to the safety, most sporting clays shooters don't disable them either......... as long as they are not the "idiot" switches that automatically engage the safety every time the action is opened. Even then, the safety is not usually disabled. It is only changed from automatic to manual.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Ulysses-- That hasn't been my experience at all. I was originally going to say "most" as that's been my experience... almost every competitive shooter I know has them pinned or disabled.

Of course, most of the competitive SC shooters are shooting autoloaders, so it's a non-issue for them. Skeet and trap... well over 75% of the folks I shoot with competitively have them pinned or disabled.

·
Registered
26,236 Posts
Of course, most of the competitive SC shooters are shooting autoloaders,
Not sure where YOU are shooting, but at every sporting course I have shot, in a multitude of states, the O/U is King of the Hill with the semi a far distant second.

Every target gun I have seen has a manual safety, no need to disable it in anyway, it just isn't used at all.

As far as selector switches, I agree with Ulysses, he is correct. Keep the selector switch, use a manual safety

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
oneounceload said:
Not sure where YOU are shooting, but at every sporting course I have shot, in a multitude of states, the O/U is King of the Hill with the semi a far distant second.
Around here, I see more 391's than anything else. K-80's probably come in second...

oneounceload said:
Every target gun I have seen has a manual safety, no need to disable it in anyway, it just isn't used at all.

As far as selector switches, I agree with Ulysses, he is correct. Keep the selector switch, use a manual safety
In skeet (I know, I'm shifting gears), pinned safetys and barrel selectors are almost universal... if someone accidentally moves the selector, or the gun is sabotaged by having the selector moved (I've had that happen twice), you will often lose the option bird... thinking you're still shooting the lower barrel first when you are actually shooting the top. It's less of a problem for "one holers" (which seems to be common practice elsewhere, but is pretty uncommon around here...)

·
Premium Member
20,328 Posts
Beretta 391's don't have a barrel selector to begin with, so it's a non-issue with a one-barrel gun. I, too, see many more O/U's on the clays courses, skeet field, and trap ranges than I do autoloaders. A pinned barrel selector on an O/U on a sporting clays course would be pretty rare, IMO.

As for pinning the safety, well, I don't suppose it would hurt on a competition gun, but I can't say that anyone has ever mentioned to me that they had that done to their gun. How else would you know if they don't mention it and you don't ask? As for someone coming along and applying the safety on someone else's gun to throw them off their game........... that low-life wouldn't last long around any gun club I've been a member of. In fact, he might not last long PERIOD. :shock:

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Ulysses said:
As for someone coming along and applying the safety on someone else's gun to throw them off their game........... that low-life wouldn't last long around any gun club I've been a member of. In fact, he might not last long PERIOD. :shock:
I was referring to the barrel selector, but the idea is the same :) I've seen it happen a number of times, and as I said, it happened to me at two different shoots when I still had a barrel selector...

·
Premium Member
20,328 Posts
I was referring to the barrel selector, but the idea is the same I've seen it happen a number of times, and as I said, it happened to me at two different shoots when I still had a barrel selector...
If you decide to take that gun and shoot some sporting clays, you might be sorry you had the barrel selector deactivated. :lol: :lol:

Being as I'm mainly a sporting clays shooter, looking at my barrel selector before starting to shoot comes almost as naturally as breathing. Besides, on the skeet field it would make no difference to me anyway. I use the same chokes in both barrels and load 2 rounds at a time, so it wouldn't matter which barrel shot first. Of course, when I get to station 8, I check the barrel selector before loading my gun for the high house, so again it's just what you become accustomed to doing.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I know a fair number of target shooters and not a one of them has a functional safety on their gun, o/u or auto. Every skeet shooter I know who shoots an o/u has their barrel selector pinned, glued, or otherwise locked out. My Perazzi doesn't even have a selectable trigger. It's bottom barrel first, all the time. Doesn't handicap me in the slightest on sporting, either. I shoot .015 under .030 and that's just that for me. I don't change chokes.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
My safety on my K80 is locked off! I once saw Sera loose 2 targets at a big shoot because SOMEONE had changed his safety :twisted: I have NEVER used the barrel selector on the gun :roll: I assume it works :D My K80 wears 2 Modified chokes ALL of the time :wink:

RTA48

·
Registered
I lost them all in a boating accident.
18,014 Posts
I use the barrel selector all the time in sporting. I don't think I've ever used the safety, but it still works (I think). I like to think I've seen my fair share of sporting guns and shooters and I can honestly say I've seen maybe 1 or 2 with the barrel selector intentionally disabled.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have seen some Perazzi's with a factory drilled hole behind the safety so you can tap a roll pin in it and block the safety from being moved to the "safe" position.

My gun doesn't have that hole, perhaps they stopped doing it at some point, but if it did I'd have the safety blocked, some day I might get the action drilled for that pin but my gun is usually in my hands or in the car at a shoot so I have never had a safety on issue in 20+ years of shooting.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
All my semi guns have the safety completely removed.

My O&U has the safety locked off an the barrel selector is locked on bottom barrel first. Don't want any surprises in practice or registered shoots.

Every O&U I've owned, which is about 10-15, had the safety disabled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.